Replace a Propane Tank?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Replace a Propane Tank?

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Has anyone replaced the propane tank on their BF? Mine has significant rust and peeling on the exterior. When I contacted the manufacturer, Manchester Tank, and inquired how I could determine the seriousness of my rust problem they suggested I take it to a local propane distributor and have them take a look at it. Problems with the tank can be easily overlooked since it is somewhat hidden from view. I crawl under my BF on a very irregular basis to check out the underside. Any ideas on how to determine on my own how serious a problem I have? I expect I'll have to take the expert opinion of a propane distributor, but it would be good to be as well informed as possible before I take it in for an estimate. Any WAG or ballpark estimate of possible costs?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Dallis -- I had to replace my tank on my 1st BF -- called Kim at the factory and he sent me one -- it was easy to replace -- I would go to a local person to get it inspected first -- it may just need cleaning and paint --- Bob Newby
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Dallas,

What was the result of your investigation? Ours looks bad, but I have always thought it was just surface rust and nothing to be concerned about.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Robert,

I took my BF in to a RV repair shop that I trust. The owner examined the propane tank and said he recommended doing nothing. He thought it was surface rust and stated that the tank metal is thick enough that I should not worry, He suggested I obtain a plastic based spray-on undercoating from an auto supply store and scrape and paint. I haven't done that yet. I am considering getting a secord opinion from a propane supplier. An interesting aside, I was searching online for replacement tanks to get an idea of costs and visited the BF website to confirm the size of my tank. I realized that the current models of 27 feet (comparable to the old 26 ft models) have a smaller tank. Evidently at some point BF began installing a smaller tank.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”