What I like/don't like about my new/old BF 24RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mockturtle

What I like/don't like about my new/old BF 24RB

Post by mockturtle »

I've had it for about a month and a half and driven it nearly 2500 miles.

So far, what I like about it:
-The size seems perfect
-Quality of the interior
-Large bathroom & closet
-Big fuel tank
-The rear window with lens [except for having to pull those blinds every time I need to use the loo. Can people see in there?]
-The generous storage capacity.

Don't like:
-The overall handling of the E450 chassis, although I get used to it after about fifteen minutes of driving. It's not happy in the wind.
-The swivel chairs and tiny table [I'll get those replaced with a dinette].
-Hard to get clean and keep clean, probably due to its contoured shape. The lower sidewalls get spattered with mud and the cabover is a real bugger to wash.
-Slight leak in cabover window--temp measure holding OK but it will need a complete fix--probably a reseal.

In general, I'm a happy camper. And it's paid for. :-) I'll be taking it 2900 miles during the next couple of weeks. Might have another report then. ;-)

Oh, BTW: I took it in for an oil change, etc. today and the mechanic found a loose exhaust pipe bracket [missing a bolt] that was wearing a groove in the holding tank. Glad he found it and fixed it!
Fourwinds

What I like about my new/old Born Free.

Post by Fourwinds »

Congrats on your new BF. Hope the positives keep outweighing the negs.
Boy! That missing bolt and the potential hole worn in your holding tank raises my eye brows a full 6 inches! Well, it felt like they went that high :roll:

Our 2002 RSB is in the shop being lubed, tuned, systems checked in preparation for our first big trip in three years ~ due to two surgeries. We've been waiting for Ole Man Winter to finally roll up his long-johns and leave the ID, WY, MT area, where we will be.

I sure agree with the challenge to clean 'and wipe dry' AND polish!!!! the overhang over the windshield. I've not heard any "easiest way" to do this, unless you are a pro basketball player and can simply lean over and reach all of it!

Success and safe enjoying travels to you.
:)
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Thank you for the good wishes and the nice response to my post! :) I was a little surprised to have 100+ 'reads' and no replies! Guess I'm used to RV.net! :wink: Hope you have a terrific trip!
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have a post in the Technical Library section of our website that shows how I am able to reach the roof area of the cabover section of my Born Free coach for cleaning and polishing.

A direct clickable link to that post is as follows: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=496

Remember that the rv.net forum probably has thousands of registered posters contributing to that forum whereas as of today our Leap'n Lions RV Club website forum has 606 persons registered and of those 606, maybe half are relatively active posters. I think you will find our forum has much more detailed information specific to Born Free owners however.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Clever idea, Bill. It would also come in handy for a lot of other jobs. Thanks for the link.
Rick Huber

Washing/Waxing Cabovef

Post by Rick Huber »

I have used the same method as Bill for the past 4 years, works great.
Rick
jerseypete

what I don't like about my new/old BF 24RB

Post by jerseypete »

Thanks to Bill I have the system he has taken such time and skill to describe in detail, for those of us willing to use his guidance on our coaches. I have a new 27 leftover 2008 I picked up on 5/20. I just got home a couple days ago, and today I used the "system" to wash the coach, and clean off the bugs and bug blood, especially under the overhang. ugh!
Don't you love it when things work out? The ladder, board and blocks take this heretofore yucky job and transform it to a sort of craft.
I get the same feeling when I make a custom fishing rod, and use special tools other generous men have helped me learn about, that make the job not work, but an art form.
Its such a simple thing, but it gives one a feeling of competence that is hard to put a price tag on it, especially if one is not mechanical, as I am definitely not.
jerseypete
Oh! I got the same feeling on the way home in my "Green Machine", when I was able to use my Convection Microwave without electric or genny.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

It's a great setup if you're at HOME, but if, like me, you are away from home for months at a time, one would have to find room for all that equipment. I'm thinking of designing my own 'mop' that will reach--and fit into--that area under the cabover. Something with a flexible head and a non-abrasive 'scratchy' side to it. Like a regular sponge floor mop only with no metal parts to scratch.
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Try a "swiffer" (sp?) mop covered with a anti static cloth used for electric driers. Very simple and has a swivel head. Sometimes aggravating because I push too hard and the mop head pops out of the handle. Wet the anti static cloth before using it. Great bug remover. Works for me.
jerseypete

what I don't like about my new/old BF 24RB

Post by jerseypete »

Great idea about the swifer mop. Certainly worth a try, even With the ladder system. Anyone else got ideas about working the overhang to get the bugs off?
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a collapsible 6 ft ladder I purchased from Camping World that I sometimes use while traveling. I store it in the area under the couch in my 26RB. Placed just in front of the bumper I can climb to the third step or so and reach the front of the overhang/bunk with the "swifter mop." I also have a brush on a handle that seems to work well. Getting to the area under the overhang and just above the center of the windshield is still difficult. I can reach it with the brush, but more often than not the bugs and road dirt do not completely clean off. Standing on a small step just next to each fender near the windshield I can reach most of this area with my hand. If I want to clean the top of the overhang/bunk I have to do it from the top.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Great ideas! Thanks, everyone. I'll look for a 'swiffer/swifter'. :D I really could use one right now. It's a bug-encrusted mess, but I'm traveling and it'll have to wait a few days.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”