New Born Free Owner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Scott Bass

New Born Free Owner

Post by Scott Bass »

Hello, I just purchased my first Motorhome this weekend, It is a 1992 26ft rear bath model. ford 460,108000 miles. We got it to start a cross country approx 25 day trip for my family of 4, me my wife and 2 girls, 7 and 9. We are leaving SC on June 20th.

I am probably going to join the good sam club and just wanted to check here to see if there are any others that would be beneficial to join before we leave.

Our preliminary plans are to leave SC and go up through nashville, st. louis,soux falls,mt rushmore,devils tower,yellowstone,san Fransisco,yosimite,grand canyon, denver and them back home.

Here are some pics of the Born Free, everything is working right now, just have to put new tires on before we leave.
http://public.fotki.com/Mercury7/born-free-motor-coach/
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Scott -- I assume you have joined the Born Fre Leap'n Lions -- if not please do so - the application is on line -- I would suggest joining the Family Motor Coach Assn [ FMCA ] as you get a of of benefits with membership -- you can go to their web site for more info and application -- your coach looks great and I know you will get a lot of enjoyment with it -- Bob Newby
whemme

Post by whemme »

Scott Bass,

Congratulations on your purchase of a Born Free motorcoach. Now as an owner, please consider joining our Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club. Yearly membership is only $15.00. And if you would browse thru our Rallies and Caravans topics area, you can see all of the planned club activities that you could attend.

Please click on the topic Club Membership Application and Renewal Information which is the 4th topic down from the top on this Discussion Forum area of our website. There you can download and print out a membership application form.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Hawkeye111

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Welcome and WOW! What a trip you are taking. Suggest if time not a major issue you consider Kings Canyon/Sequoia Park near Fresno on the way to Grand Canyon, and on the way to Denver from GC strongly suggest National Monuments and Bryce and Zion Parks. Have a great trip and drive carefully.
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

The RV looks in great shape! Congrats on the purchase!

Your trip looks like a great one, covering a lot of great things to see. My comment is that's a lot of ground to cover in 25 days, particularly with kids along. I recomend you plan to take a longer time or plan on a shorter route. This is a new lifestyle/experience for everyone..allow time for it to be an enjoyable trip and vacation and not become a death march to see everything on a list. If everyone enjoys this trip they'll be eager to go on the next.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

Thanks everyone, any suggestions of what you would cut out? I kind madw yosimite as the final destination before plotting a route back, and we were just planning on over nighters until we got out west...then 2 to three nights at each location.

anyway I am still flexible, no reservations anywhere yet.
bill crommett

trip west

Post by bill crommett »

Scott: A couple of years ago we took the loop road with Utah state roads 95- 24- and 12- through some of the most beautiful National Parks ever. If you can possibly fit this in, you won't be disappointed.
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

Thanks Bill , I will research that one, its been a busy couple of days...went to the dmv today and got to swing by sams club for new tires tomorrow.
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

btw coach-net does look pretty cool, I was going to join good sam just for the 10% rv parks discount though....and my progressive/usaa policy may be duplicate coverage.
??

On another note, Sams club only has the bf goodrich tires with the e rating and so it looks like I will be getting those tomorrow, now do I really have to show them how to remove those hubcaps? because I really don't know how myself right now....but sure don't want them to mess anything up.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Scott

Re Yosemite - you might wish to rethink that. We tried to get reservations earlier in the year for anytime in May/June and the Valley was booked solid. There are only three campground in the Valley suitable for RVs and I understand that one is closed for the summer. Couple that with a state population of 38 million and you can imagine the demand. There are other campgrounds within the park for RVs but they are some distance from the Valley. For what it is worth, the Tetons and Yellowstone are both great National Parks and well worth any number of visits.

Enjoy your Born Free.

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

Thanks for the info Steve, would it still be worth it to stay outside the park and do several day trips in?
bill crommett

Tires

Post by bill crommett »

Scott : Regarding the hub caps (wheel covers) . If you will tap the cover lumps one by one you will notice that some will go "PING" and some will go "THUD" Take a non-permanent magic marker and mark the "THUD" ones. Then insist that you will be able to watch the tire Jockey take off the first wheel. If he can use a hand turned six point socket to get the "THUD" ones off, or if he has a decorative cap puller like Mel showed earlier, there will be minimal trouble.
GOOD LUCK AT SAM'S.
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

thanks Bill, I'll let you know how it goes :)
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Scott, I would definitely have them install the steel or brass valve stems.
Mel & Connie
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Scott

There are campgrounds outside of the Park, but you would be looking at anywhere from 20 to 30 miles to the Valley. And once you get there, assuming you are coming this summer, vehicle parking will be at a premium. In fact, should the campgrounds be full, they may not even allow you to enter. A suggestion. Try the Yosemite Nat'l Park website and click on camping within the Park. There are a number of campgrounds within the Park, though not on the Valley floor, which will take RVs and you might see if you could stay there. There will be no hookups and to my knowledge, the only dump sites are the one at Wawona and the one in the Valley.

One more suggestion. If you really want to see Yosemite Valley at it's finest, suggest late May when the waterfalls are at their best.

Good luck,

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”