RTV Caulking

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger

RTV Caulking

Post by Roger »

The caulking on my 1999 24RB is almost black in some places. Apparently, this is caused by mildew inside the caulking. My research indicates that there is no solution to this other than digging out the old caulk and replacing it. Has anyone else tackled this problem? Results?

Thanks, Roger
1999 24RB
hrgermany

rv caulking

Post by hrgermany »

Have you tried regular paint thinner and an old toothbrush or household
cleaning solution? Usually it gets only dicolored on the surface.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Camping World has a product called Black Streak Remover. I sometimes see it in the RV section at Wal-mart also. Just spray it on the chalked joints from the spray bottle and wipe off after a minute with a dry towel and the black is gone - works quite well.

The direct clickable Camping World website link for this product is as follows: http://www.campingworld.com/category/black-streak/112
Last edited by whemme on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

FYI

I tried a bleach solution (1/3 bleach - 2/3 water) in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on and worked it in (gently) with a scrub brush, let it sit for a couple of minutes, washed, then throughly rinsed off. Not perfect, but a BIG improvement.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Years ago, the techs at the Born Free factory told us that they used the pre-moistened "orange" cleaner wipes on discolored caulk seams. Worked very well for us, too. Sometimes takes a little elbow grease. Rinse with plain water immediately, to remove the "orange" cleaning solution.
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”