best discount clubs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Scott Bass

best discount clubs

Post by Scott Bass »

Ok, so I am probably going to join coach-net tonight to ensure I am covered well for our upcoming trip. I am still confused about which club to join to get deep discounts at the rv parks....I wouldn't mind so much spending 40 to 50 every now and then but definitely do no want to spend that much every where we pull in. so who is a member of what....is there one I can join that has a discount available at all parks? is the passportamerica 50% discount real or even worth it trying to drive to an rv park that honors it? thanks

I am getting tons of questions as our deperture date nears, I would like to have everything settled this week end.

my first two rv parks are the yogi bear campground in Nashville and the st Louis campground in downtown st Louis
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

I think I will go ahead and answer my own question here in case another newbiw wanders in :)
From my research there is not one club to join. Just researching a few of the cities I am traveling to, I would have to join 4 different clubs to obtain discounts in all the cities. The main reason is location/amenities/reviews, ie..KOA maybe the best one in one city but yogi is the best in another and so on.

I also took the time to read my usaa/progressive policy last night, although coachnet seems great, it does seem to duplicate the roadside assistance of my insurance policy...I have not seen enough to justify the 100.00 cost above and beyond that yet.

What would be nice is to have trip insurance....ie you give an insurance company your travel dates and they would write an umbrella policy for 100% of everything should something go wrong...ie hotel/car rental, everything :) I would actually be willing to pay alot for a 30 day policy like that.
Scott Bass

Post by Scott Bass »

yeah I considered trying to save some money by doing the walmart thing a few times but I don't really see that happening....my girls are 7 and 9 and so I am really trying to keep my driving times down and get into an rv park with a swimming pool to keep them busy having fun :)

it is disheartening though, It looks like I will be utilizing KOA a good bit and they are high....50.00 and up, pretty serious money when multiplied over 3 weeks. But they do seem to have great amenities that will enhance our vacation.

the parks I have decided on so far are:
(feel free to chime in if any of these are mistakes)

nashvillekoa
st.louis rv park(thats the name ;)
basswood resort(just north of kansas city)
mitchell lake campground (sd)
mt rushmore koa
devils tower koa
fishing bridge yellowstone

after yellowstone we will probably start to head back but swing down toward cheyenne and denver and visit the rocky mountain national park....after that maybe walmart can save us some lol
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hey Scott. Getting a family discount at the Basswood Resort? :wink:
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We have been members of Passport America for 4 years now and have found it to be a great help in saving money. The parks we have used have all been very good. We crosscheck the park ratings in our Trailer Life directory. We have never had a problem with any of the parks. Some do not give the discount over holday weekends or for certain "high seasons", but they clearly state this in their listing. We saved over $100 in our first year of membership. For those parks that do not take reservations, a call to determine if there is space available usually suffices.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Might also consider State Parks vs. private RV parks, we spent two months in Florida last winter and for most part camped at state parks. Found one federal park in the Everglades and it was very nice and a deal. With their senior citzens pass, only $8 vs normal $16 which is still very reasonable. So now when traveling I look for the little green tree icon with a green tepee icon denoting campsites available and all are normally $15 - $30 per day.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Scott, if you haven't done so already, check out rvparkreviews.com for campgrounds. So far I have only disagreed with the reviews once or twice and I try to always consult the website before selectng a campground. It will tell you things not obvious in the directories, like how many permanent residents there are, how kid and dog friendly a place really is, how big or small the sites are. Some people are never satisfied but you learn to filter the reviews to suit your needs. In Nashville, check out the COE campground, on James Priestly Lake. It is really nice but doesn't have a pool for your kids, but costs about 20 bucks. Satellite works on site 2 but there is good antenna reception otherwise. We love Devil's Tower - it is so weird. Try to watch the movie that was filmed there before you go if you haven't seen it, I think the title is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Your kids might even enjoy it. If you don't like the Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, try the parks in West Yellowstone, MT. Anyway, have a wonderful time!!! And be able to laugh when things go wrong due to operator error, as they will. Those events are some of our best memories.

Judy Harris, Chuck and the 2 Cavaliers
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

USAA, an entirely trustworthy company in my opinion, offers excellent insurance coverage, no matter the product - health, life, home, rental, auto or RV to active duty and retired military personnel and their spouses and children. Sounds like they may team up with Progressive to cover RVs. And at $100 less than what Coachnet quoted for similar coverage, sounds like a good deal to me.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jimnphyl

Post by jimnphyl »

Scott,

Regarding club discounts at RV parks, we pretty much came to the same conclusion as you. Other RV’ers may differ because it’s a personal decision based upon travel plans and priorities.

Your trip sounds wonderful. We went on some of the same route when we bought our motorhome, partly out of necessity, except in reverse, and we had a great time.

Regarding specific parks, we went to Mt. Rushmore KOA and liked it a lot. Same for Fishing Bridge RV Park. By the way, Fishing Bridge required a sewer “doughnutâ€
Jim & Phyllis

2000 24' Rear Bath

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”