Cold Air

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dsfriday

Cold Air

Post by dsfriday »

What is an expected time interval between turning the air conditioner on and feeling cold air. To date haven't really used my air conditioner. Purchased this 2008 BFT C/O on a 2007 chassis in June of last year. It was actually given life by Born Free in Sept of 07. We used it for two months in Florida this winter but never had occasion to use the air. Periodically, to cycle the generator, I have switched on the air to create a load. Today, brought unit back from repair of refrigerator circuit board and before returning RV to the warehouse, kicked on the generator & turned on the air. During the process, about five minutes, put my hand up to the vents to test temperature of air. Was expecting to feel some cold air, can't say it was hot but thought in time interval elapsed I should have been feeling cold air. Is the air like the refig., which takes it's time getting to temperature?
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

your air condition unit has 2 knobs -- one is for selecting what you want i.e. heat , fan ; or cold the other is to select the temp from warm to cool -- be sure you have it set on the collest setting -- it should cool down hather fast - if it doesn't have it checked out for coolent in the unit
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

dsfriday,

There is a short delay, perhaps a little over 2 minutes, before the compressor actually kicks in. If the fan is on the auto setting, the fan kicks in at the same time. If the fan is on a specific speed setting, the fan comes on immediately, but the compressor won't. Even though the AC unit is fairly quiet, you should hear the compressor kick in, and you should hear the generator briefly change pitch as it adjusts to the load.

I find that on our unit that it takes another 1-3 minutes after the compressor kicks in for the first time for the air to start feeling cooler. To check it out, I hold a thermometer up to the air outlets. The air should be someplace in the 50's. I usually get a reading of 53 to 57 or so.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

[quote="shilohdad"]dsfriday,

There is a short delay, perhaps a little over 2 minutes, before the compressor actually kicks in. If the fan is on the auto setting, the fan kicks in at the same time. If the fan is on a specific speed setting, the fan comes on immediately, but the compressor won't. Even though the AC unit is fairly quiet, you should hear the compressor kick in, and you should hear the generator briefly change pitch as it adjusts to the load.

I find that on our unit that it takes another 1-3 minutes after the compressor kicks in for the first time for the air to start feeling cooler. To check it out, I hold a thermometer up to the air outlets. The air should be someplace in the 50's. I usually get a reading of 53 to 57 or so.[/quote]

This is a text book answer...........good job
SteveS

cool down temperature

Post by SteveS »

If it is 95 F outside, what is a reasonable temperature to expect inside the coach (with the AC on)?

Steve
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

SteveS,

In very hot, sunny conditions, we use something called reflectix to block out the sun. This is very similar to the stuff you buy for your front windshield that you can cut to size. We put this in the large side windows and the back window in the bathroom, then we raise the shades and lower the back blind. We also have an opaque fabric we put over the window in the entry door. We lower the blind in the kitchen (no reflectix). We also bought two windshield reflectors. One got cut in half, and each half goes over the side cab windows. The intact one goes over the windshield and we close the curtains.

So, now we have most of the sun blocked out. When we do this, we can generally keep the cabin about 15, maybe 20, degrees below outside temperature, so at 95 degrees, the cabin stays generally in the mid to high 70s. Put the motorhome in the shade and you can do a better. If you don't keep the sun out, I would guess we would be doing good to keep it in the mid 80s.

It isn't always easy to find reflectix, but some RV dealers will carry it. You might be able to find it at someplace like Home Depot, but I have not really looked there.
Joe and Lucinda
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

We purchased one of these a few years ago and works real well to cover the windshield and side windows of the coach. In addition to keeping the sun and light out it gives us some privacy and we are able to use the seats and dash when parked.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... nnets/3632
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Sam,

No it is not a misprint. Both the Born Free and our previous Roadtrek did the same thing. The reason is to make sure that the pressure in the compressor is relieved in case the reason for power-on was recovery from a brief power failure. If a brief power blip occurs while the AC is running, and it comes back on almost immediately, the load the compressor would place at this time is so high it can blow a breaker and/or overload the generator, causing the generator to stall. Be aware that this only happens when FIRST starting the AC. After that the compressor cycles normally, but I will also bet that there is a minimum 2 minutes between cycles.
Joe and Lucinda
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We had similar problems. We bought our 2008 24RB in April and live in the cool north. We thought the AC was working, as the blower came on, and the thermostat "clicked". It wasn't till several months later, trying to camp in 95 degree heat that we realized the air was warmer coming out of the AC than the ambient air.
We took it in for warranty service, and two thermostats and one new ac later we thought we were in business (although it was fall by then). We just started getting warm again, and had the same problem, no cool air. Went to the shop again, this time in Texas in 97 degree heat. The shop said the coolant had leaked out, and the compressor was only pulling 5 amps. Dometic didn't admit any systemic problems, just thought we had two lemons in a row. But, they have had a warehouse fire, and we heard they are only working a few weeks a month due to the economy. The Texas repair shop had been waiting a month for parts for other coaches, something we were not willing to do.
We purchased a brand new Carrier brand unit that so far works GREAT. Bottom line, get your AC unit checked out - there may be a systemic Dometic problem.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I have the same experience Sam Ryan does. I turn on my AC, if it's turned to Cool, the compressor kicks in right away.

also, it puts out air that is so cold, that if it's 95, I can be comfortably in the mid 70s inside after about 15 minutes. Yes, I can hear the generator change it's rpms when the ac is first turned on, then it returns to a higher rpm immediately but lower than if there's no load.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Back on this issue. Returned to the warehouse today to start RV and cycle generator. Got the generator running, no problem, let it warm up then flip the 30 amp circuit breaker to the on position, turned the selector switch on the air to low cool and moved the temperature switch a couple of notches above warm. Air conditoner was working fine, the air was somewhat cool so decided to see what this sucker would do with temperature switch all the way to cool. So I rotated switch to the far right position. Compressor continued to work for a second or two then switched off. Turned selector switch to off and temp switch to warm, waited for a minute and started all over. Same story, once I moved the temp to maxium cool, compressor shut down. Called Kim and He mentioned some Dometic Air conditioners have been experiencing a problem with capacitors. In any event, it appears my compressor is having an isuue meeting maxium demand. Any advice?
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Hopefully it is a bad capacitor as they are relatively inexpensive and easily replaced. Definitely worth a try. We have known other RV owners to have problems with "bad capacitors".
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Did some further problem solving regarding my compressor shutting down when on generator and at temperature settings of 5 and above. Runs fine on the power cord. Can ramp temperature up to maximum and fan to high cool and air conditioner keeps running, however, using the generator for power, everthing works until I switch temperature to 5 and then the whole unit shuts down, quit as a church mouse, no fan , no air, no nothing. Called Kim again and he said another gentleman had the same issue & found if he just waited a few seconds, the air would power back up and stay on, so I waited a few seconds and sure enough the air came back on and I could switch the temp to max and fan to high and it kept on working. Kim never said what the problem was, just that he was aware of the issue. So you electrical engineers out there, can you tell me what is going on?
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I'm unclear on one point...why are you flipping the 30-amp breaker? (If I'm reading your earlier post correctly). I never do that unless I blow the thing (which I've only done once).

I just a) turn on the battery bypass (which I keep turned off if I'm going to use shore power a while) and then b) turn on the generator and then c) after about 60 seconds or a shade longer, I turn on the AC. The rpms of the generator change, but it (the ac) never shuts off. The compressor kicks in until the desired cooling is reached (max is about 70 degrees if today's test is any indicator) and then fan stays on, and the compressor cycles on and off to maintain the temp. I tried it on low and medium, on the coolest setting. Started out at 79.6 degrees and muggy inside and almost exactly an hour later, 70.4 degrees with the condensor staying off most of the time.

It works exactly the same on shore power, with one exception....it sounds like it's struggling and testing the Volts, I'm not getting a true 110 at the outlet, so I have stopped using AC until I know the power is stable again.

Do you have a plug-in meter in any of your ac outlets that tell you how many volts you're getting at the outlets? Are you getting enough power to your unit? That could cause, potentially, a numbe3r of problems with the unit that may persist even after your power issues are fixed.

Do you know how much power your genset is putting out?

What kind of Converter do you have.... the time I tripped my 30 amp, I was having trouble with other things too, and it turned out that the circuit board on my converter panel was bad and BF replaced it. (warranty, thankfully).

Just troubleshooting ideas.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Trisha, yes I'm flipping the 30 amp breaker on the power panel in the coach. I read somewhere that you should always start the generator without load. So when I put the RV in storage, I flip the breaker to off and turn the battery switch to disconnect. Then periodically, about every two weeks, I start up the RV to circulate oil in the engine and while the engine is running, turn the battery disconnect on, start the generator and after a couple of minutes, flip the 30 amp breaker on and turn on the air to create a load on the generator. Air works fine until I turn the temp setting to 5 at which time the air shuts down. If I leave everything alone, after one or two minutes, the air comes back on at which time I can ramp up the unit to the highest fan setting and the maximum temp. The initial pause is what I don't understand and to date have not completed any of the testing you suggested. Hopefully, in the near future, I will discover the problem. Kim said he has heard of this before and knows of one person who went to considerable expense to discover the cure. Need for Kim to remember what the answer was.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”