'Bout to wet my britches

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rixname

'Bout to wet my britches

Post by rixname »

On Tuesday of next week, my wife and I will be traveling to Clermont to pick up a 2005 BF 24 RB. After searching for several years now for a "previously owned" BF, we think we have found a keeper. (You can see it on the BF website but don't go gettin' any ideas :wink: )

Thus the comment in the subject line above.

We started camping 35 years ago, moving from tent to pop-up to pull behind to fifth wheel. The motorhome represents a real shift to touring.

We would welcome any comments and hints from you veteran owners before we fly out of ATL next week (one way; we are optimistic that the
unit is as good as represented).

Can't wait to join the Leap'n Lions as soon as we get the password and secret handshake!

Rick and Sheryl in Rex, GA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

From GA to FL, no big deal. We flew all the way from CA to the factory in IA to pick up our used BFT. One way ticket. too.

Am sure you'll enjoy your new (to you) 24RB.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
rixname

Post by rixname »

bcope01 wrote:From GA to FL, no big deal. We flew all the way from CA to the factory in IA to pick up our used BFT. One way ticket. too.

Am sure you'll enjoy your new (to you) 24RB.

Bill
That WAS an act of faith. It is comments like yours and so many other BF owners that cause me to have confidence in the Born Free product.
rixname

Post by rixname »

Sam Ryan wrote:If you've never owned a Born Free, you should own at least one to see if you like it. I bought mine April 2003, used in Pompano Beach, FL., only I had a roundtrip airline ticket, DFW - West Palm Beach, FL. if I decided to pass on it. I drove it home.
I notice that you have a diesel unit. Do you have a propane generator? The one we're buying is a gas V-10 but has a propane gen. Just wondering how you would compare it to a gasoline gen?
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Flew from Northern California to Oklahoma City for mine. One way ticket. Never, ever been sorry....& I was a single female senior citizen at the time planning to travel solo and had never driven a class C motor home in my life....The sellers were awesome & I still wonder how blessed I was to meet them & to buy my wonderful BF... 8) Again, never been sorry :!:
rixname

Post by rixname »

CHARLOTTE wrote:Flew from Northern California to Oklahoma City for mine. (snip) Again, never been sorry :!:
Wonderful! We are truly eager to get to Clermont.
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Like Sam, we also have a deisel. In my opinion the propane generator is superior to the gasoline generator as it burns cleaner and has fewer problems. We have never had a problem with ours in over 10 years of use. It should be "exercised" at least once a month for at least an hour with a "load" put on it (such as running the air conditioner).

I would recommend taking the time to read all of the posts in this forum which apply to your motorhome. It will take some time but you will learn a lot. Pay particular attention to those posts which are safety related such as wheels and tires and the importance of steel stems or (preferably) brass extenders.

Either upgrade (replace) the cheap factory equipped convertor/charger or make sure that you turn the 12 volt master switch OFF (located in the door step opening below the driver's seat) every time you hook up to AC power. If you don't your coach batteries will be ruined. There are many excellent posts about this.

Look carefully for signs of water leaks (stains on wood around the floor, damp or wet carpet, etc) especially if your unit has the notorious (for leaking) large overhead cab window. There are many posts on water leaks (for good reason).
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

As for generator problems, we have an Onan gas model with 800+ hours without any problems. The main problem is that many generators are not used enough. Concerning water leaks, Born Free did not offer the overhead window in 2005 so that is one area that will not be a problem
Mel & Connie
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Mel,

If you don't leave your Born Free in storage for long periods of time you probably would not experience problems of gasoline fuel gumming etc which other people have experienced with gas generators. If someone does not keep their gasoline tank replenished fairly regularly they probably need to use a fuel stabilizer (like Sta-Bil).

My comments on water leaks are valid even if their coach does not have an overhead cab window.

Bob
rixname

First-rate info

Post by rixname »

Having watched this forum for several weeks now, I find it to be a great source of info! I really like the way some of you post specific help tips based on your experiences.

Some even include detailed plans and photos for solving problems (wheel cover nuts) and making modifications (TV upgrades, etc.).

Leap'n Lions seems like a first-rate resource and I appreciate it.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”