Electric generation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lauri

Problem with Generator

Post by lauri »

I am new to the forum, but find it very interesting that I am experiencing the same problem with my Genset as dsfriday. I too have a 2008, a 24rb. This is my third RV. I love the BF! However, my previous motorhomes all had Onan generators and I NEVER experienced problems. I started having problems with this generator last summer on my drive home! I took it in to have it serviced, and THOUGHT they fixed it. I didn't use it again until this summer and had the same problem. Like SteveS, I am thinking about having it switched to an ONAN. I wonder why BF doesn't put ONANs in all the RVs?
John S.

Post by John S. »

dsfriday wrote:My air conditioner also shuts down with generator supplying power, but that isn't the case when plugged in to power cord. I have found, when on generator power and I turn on the air everything works fine until I try to increase cooling by moving the right hand knob from 4 to 5. At that point I can hear the increased demand placed on the generator's engine and then one of two things will happen. #1. I will hear an audible click in the convertor area, however the 30 amp breaker doesn't kick out, the air does shut off and the generator continues to run but at a noticeable lighter load. At that point I turn the air completely off, wait a few minutes and then restart, turning the right knob to 4 and then ever so slowly move it to 5. During this process #1 will reoccur or the power will hold and then I can move the Knob all the way to max cool. My belief, until proven otherwise, is the generator hasn't quit got the smack and should be heavier duty. My coach is a 2008 and the generator has less than 10 hrs. most of which were added exercising the unit and the engine runs perfect, starts easy and runs smooth.
I am having the same problem too.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Trisha wrote:
I don't know...is the bounce between 110 and 112 still irregular?

I do always use stabil when I am not going to be going anywhere, but now that it's summer, the gas is rather fresh.

To my ear, I don't hear any variations or other things to make me concerned about the generator. It's not missing or doing anything like that. It sounds good. I read the checklist in the book and didn't see anything there of concern, as far as the output.

If it's okay, I will leave it until the next service, which is coming up in about 40 hours. Since my friend's electricity is so marginal...that won't take long.

Thanks guys (& gals)!

What's the longest time anyone's run their generator regularly in hours/day?

Bouncing a volt or two is not a problem really. As for length of time, on my propane generators I ran it 8 hours on the diesel ones I have run it 5 days in a row all day and night.
SteveS

Re: Problem with Generator

Post by SteveS »

lauri wrote:I am new to the forum, but find it very interesting that I am experiencing the same problem with my Genset as dsfriday. I too have a 2008, a 24rb. This is my third RV. I love the BF! However, my previous motorhomes all had Onan generators and I NEVER experienced problems. I started having problems with this generator last summer on my drive home! I took it in to have it serviced, and THOUGHT they fixed it. I didn't use it again until this summer and had the same problem. Like SteveS, I am thinking about having it switched to an ONAN. I wonder why BF doesn't put ONANs in all the RVs?
The Generac costs less.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

If my memory is correct I think BF switched when Onan discontinued the Emerald 2 cylinder model that many of us have and are very pleased with. I believe one of the differences with the Onan replacement model vs the Generac was that the Onan did not have a low oil shut down feature. I guess cost would be a factor but not the only one.
Mel & Connie
ddpjep

Generac Guardian RV Generator

Post by ddpjep »

We had the same performance problems with our Generac Guardian RV generator as described in this thread. Then, after having two different factory authorized service centers work on our generator, the gasoline engine would run fine but the generator wouldn't put out any AC power at all. After asking around at the FMCA Convention, an Onan generator expert said their testing of a Generac 3600 watt generator revealed that it would only put out 2200 watts of power when the outside temperature was quite hot.

After talking to the Onan man, I saw John Dodgen working at the FMCA display coach area and I asked him why Born Free switched to Generac. He said it was because people had trouble starting the Onans and Generacs were easier to start.

A couple of weeks later we were traveling through Wisconsin and stopped by the Generac factory. Even though it was quitting time, several Generac employees stayed on an extra hour and a half to get my generator running. The voltage regulator was replaced and an intermittent loose wire was repaired. These people couldn't have been nicer. They wouldn't accept any payment and even gave me a packet of service parts worth about $40.

We haven't had a chance to stress test the generator in hot weather. When we do finish stress testing we will report back in one of the other Generac generator threads.

Dean

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”