super springs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

liginbf

super springs

Post by liginbf »

Has any body tried super springs in any of the 26' bf, do air bags stay, and which shock r u using. My coach does the big bang as others have stated. I have weighed the coach, adjusted air pressure in both tires and bags and changed shocks (bilsteins hd - harsh ride) now going to koni. Any info would help.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I had Bilstiens (but the Comfort models) installed several years ago and have been pleased with their performance and ride improvement. Read the topic directly below this by Ann P about her experience with super springs.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
SteveS

springs and air bags

Post by SteveS »

On my 24 RB, the air bags are mounted inboard and the super springs go above the current spring pack, so you can have them both! For the E450 chassis there are two models of super springs. Make sure that you get the ones that stay out of the way of the gas-fill line.

I have put about 1400 miles on with my super springs and I am very happy. The added clearance on the rear end is wonderful.

Steve
ddpjep

Big Bang

Post by ddpjep »

The big bang occurs when the motor coach chassis bottoms out and hits the rear axle. When I had a 2005 model, I increased the air bag pressure to 60 pounds and that stopped the bottoming out on most bumps.

On my 2008 model I increased the air bag pressure to 90 pounds (100 is the manufacturer's maximum) and it raised the rear bumper about one and a half inches.

Dean
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

It makes sense to me that the big bang comes from the chassis landing on the axle. The super springs raised the rear of my 24 RB between 2 and 3 inches, so maybe they will help to eliminate the big bang.

Steve
SteveS

Super Springs Photos

Post by SteveS »

Here are two super springs photos. One shows the rear end of my 24 RB with the super springs and air bags at 55 psi. THe distance from the ground to be bottom of the hitch receiver is 14.5 inches. (I don't have a before picture, sorry)

The second shows the installed super spring.

Steve
[/img]
Attachments
Super-springs.jpg
Super-springs.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 12608 times
24RB-rear.jpg
24RB-rear.jpg (125.55 KiB) Viewed 12608 times
Don Cannistraro

Supersprings

Post by Don Cannistraro »

liginbf;
I talked to 'Mike' at the factory and after asking me a couple questions he confirmed just what Steve did.

Since the present air bags are mounted above the axel & are inboard of the springs its a rather simple install. The part # is SSA22.

If you have a way of jacking up the coach while unloading the springs you can do it in your driveway. In other words, don't put the jack under the axel. Jack up the frame until the tires just clear the ground.This can be done one side at a time. Additionally, according to Mike the wheels do not have to be removed.

don
hrgermany

super springs

Post by hrgermany »

I have installed some thing simular to the super springs, it is called Roll
Gard Suspension Stabilizer. See my post April 2-2008.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
rixname

SS Install

Post by rixname »

I have contacted a place near me that wants $466.99 for the parts and $100.00 for labor to install Super Springs on my 24RB. Does this sound like a reasonable charge?
SteveS

Super Springs Cost

Post by SteveS »

I got the Super Springs for $450 with a $52/side installation fee ($104 total). It looks like they are very easy to install if you have a method of jacking up the chassis. As I said in a prior email, the added clearance in the rear removed the scraping worries almost completely and made the driving much more enjoyable. Now I am thinking that they should be standard equipment on Born Frees.

Stev
bcope01

Re: Super Springs Cost

Post by bcope01 »

SteveS wrote:Now I am thinking that they should be standard equipment on Born Frees.

Stev
I don't need them on my BFT. They'd just make the ride stiffer, although I don't think it rides stiff now.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
SteveS

Re: Super Springs Cost

Post by SteveS »

I don't need them on my BFT. They'd just make the ride stiffer, although I don't think it rides stiff now.

Bill[/quote]

I stand corrected ... Maybe they should be standard equipment on all 24 foot Born Frees.

Steve
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

where do you get the springs-- how are they ordered --Bob Newby
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I have just come back from my local Ford dealer where I had the coach serviced after returning from Alaska - we discussed the super springs and they then sent me to a specialty shop that they use on suspension problems -- at the specialty shop they said that "super springs" could not be put on my 26 ft because the air bags are directly above the springs and if I wanted air bags I would first have to have new air bags installed beside the springs so that the new spring could be placed directly above the existing springs -- has anyone had this problem? -- I too had severe bottom-out problems this summer and have to do something to solve the problem -- they also increased the air bag pressure to 70# for me to try to see if that improved the ride - it increased the height at the axle by 3/4 of an inch - I'll drive it a while to see if it does - they also suggested "Hellwig" springs instead of super springs " -- has anyone tried these? I would appreciate your comments -- Bob Newby
SteveS

Super Springs

Post by SteveS »

I believe that you can order super springs directly from the Super Springs company.

Ann also posted the name of a distributor who will ship them to you.

Hellwig spring are a similar idea to the super springs. Most or their models require more room above the springs. On my rig I had the gas fill line to worry about. But they might be fine for other model/years.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”