Traveling to Canada

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

haizlipr

Traveling to Canada

Post by haizlipr »

About to
have some good wtw for this rookie?? Am aware of weapon restrictions,depart on our first trip to Canada. Any of you veteran BFer's
pass port requirements and certificate of rabies vaccination for our
"guard dog". Any useful info would be greatly appreciated. tks vm in advance.
Last edited by haizlipr on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

There are also food restrictions. Certain items cannot be taken across the border. Check the US and Canadian customs sites for the details.

I believe some fresh fruits and vegetables, some beef products (especially if it's around dinner time and you can smell the grill heating up behind the customs building) and some liquor restrictions.

We went right through, but others we were with got stopped and searched.
Sab & Ann

Traveling to Canada

Post by Sab & Ann »

Have your Motorhome Insurance Company issue a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card". They should sent it to you via e-mail in a pdf file.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Idaho potatoes couldn't go into Canada through a western checkpoint and fresh Canadian beef couldn't come into the US. We always carry our dogs' records but never have been asked to produce them. In about 10 crossings, we have never been searched - must be the gray hair. Have fun!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

We have not been searched n the last thirty years, but the interogation we got when entering Canada at Grand Portage, Minnesota was extensive. I think the poor girl was lonesome for someone to talk to.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Mace or any defensive spray cannot be taken across the border into Canada. We have a spay that can be used for agressive dogs and the Canadian border authorities held us up for a few minutes while they checked if it was legal (It is legal).
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

On a very slow afternoon we crossed from New Hampshire into Quebec at a very remote checkpoint. The Canadian border authority decided to search our motorhome. I tend to believe he saw our license plate (Alabama) and thought he might find a weapon. It is not uncommon for people to assume the worst about Alabamians. We are used to it. The border guy had us get out of the motorhome (with our three dogs) and he spent 15 minutes or so going through our vehicle. He found nothing and let us proceed. There were several homes near the checkpoint and the residents came out on their front porches to watch the show. I think they were a bit disappointed when we were not arrested and hauled away to be booked and fingerprinted.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Dallis: That Canuck wasn't up on his geography or he would have known that Dauphin Island belongs to the Gulf Of Mexico and that Alabama was just a place for you to pay taxes and register your vehicles
TomLong

Crossing into Canada

Post by TomLong »

I know you are going to have a good trip. However you cannot take firewook with the bark on. Also beef been must be marked with the place of orgin. They (he) told me that if I had left it in the grocery story container it would have been ok. I thought he was going to take my dinner. Also fruit with seeds were taken from me. He let me eat the apple,but took the apple core. Who knows.

Have a safe trip.
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

The responses you have received are right on. We visit Canada several times a year, mainly because the campgrounds are great, roads a delight, people jolly, heritage so rich, --and the fun of many jolly place names. Matter of fact, we like it somuch we applied for and received a "NEXUS" pass, which lets you use the fast lanes at border crossings (and also helps reduce hassle at small or remote crossings). Most of our crossings are up into BC, but tne NEXUS pass also reduces the hassle entering elsewhere (in our experience including Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick). Oh, and emergency medical care is super. Here's to the Maple Leaf--clink, clink!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”