Misc. Problems

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

travelandcanoe

Misc. Problems

Post by travelandcanoe »

We recently bought a used Born Free (2007 24 foot CE) and are trying to resolve some problems/ mysteries of the unit.
Window Screens slide open on rough roads, and suggestions for keeping them closed?
Square Screw Heads Some panels have square head screws, while I assume this is to keep you from electrocuting yourself, but sometimes, like water leaks or spilled milk, you need access. What tool and size do I need to remove them?
Rear Storage Compartment This compartment is always wet with condensation. We store our water hose here (after draining and connecting the ends). Is this the source of the condensation? Does everyone have this problem?
Stains What can you use in the kitchen sink to remove stains? We has gas overflow the tank when the RV body was dirty. The gas and dirt have combined into a stain that we can’t remove, any suggestions?
Don Jacobs
Jo Hayworth

Kitchen Sink stains

Post by Jo Hayworth »

I"m assuming your sink is of the "solid surface" type like Corian. In our coach, a 2004 Casual Elegance, I've found that using Soft Scrub for general cleaning and Clorox Clean Up spray for stains does the job, I keep both products under the sink. Can't help with your other questions
whemme

Post by whemme »

Don Jacobs,

a) Window Screens - not sure I understand this one. Are you referring instead to the window shades that will slowly fall down under road vibrations unless the shade string tension is increased? If this is your problem, loosen the two lower shade bobbins, pull the string thru an adequate amount to increase the string tension enough to increase the friction enough to stop the problem and then re-tighten the bobbin.

b) Square Screw Heads - my Born Free was delivered from the factory with a srewdriver type tool that had removable tool heads. One of the heads would fit those square heads. Do you have this tool? If not, you should be able to find the required tool at most hardware stores.

c) Rear Storage Compartment - my first 1999 BF 24' Rear Bath unit had a rear storage compartment like you desribe for your 2007 24 foot CE. It was a sealed compartment made with white gelcoat fiberglass and, like you describe, it was always damp in that compartment. Must be normal.

d) Stains - sorry but don't have an answer for you on this question.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
John S.

Post by John S. »

How do your window screens slide open if the window is closed. If I close mine the edge of the window keeps the screen from moving past it.

the square head screws can be tighten or removed with the screwdriver they gave you or a standard square head driver.

My rear compartment is not camp but I store mine in a garage too. My 22 foot Built for Two did not have one so I have only this one to compare it too. I put in the hose too but I do not screw the ends together so that it will not mildew.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I own a 2001 RSB that has a right side storage compartment just behind the right rear door. I had significant condensation problems there until I moved my water hose to a compartment under my rear bed where it is exposed to the inside of the MH. I still get some condensation, but a lot less that before. That one compartment is the only one on my coach that does not open to the inside of the MH.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
travelandcanoe

Misc. Problems

Post by travelandcanoe »

Hi
Thanks for your help, I'll try some of those suggestions.
Don Jacobs
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Square head screws and drivers area called Robertsons, invented by a Canadian, I believe. They come in different sizes and are a lot less prone to stripping.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”