Sites to see in Northeast

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mquade

Sites to see in Northeast

Post by mquade »

Hi, We will be traveling to the NE states this fall in our BFT, for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have thoughts on what sites we should see. Maine, Vermont, etc.. We are from WI. Thanks in advance. Miles
Hawkeye111

Post by Hawkeye111 »

White Mountain, Finger Lake Region of New York, Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax Nova Scotia, Truro Nova Scotia (Bay of Fund Tidal Bore), Acadia National Park would be our choices. Of these, the tidal bore in the Bay of Fundy is absolutely a must. It is unforgettable, as is the entire area. Good Highways!
John S.

Post by John S. »

How are you getting there might be important? Are you going through Canada or down into OH and up to NY and then the rest of the NE. There is a lot to see that way.... What do you like. I would stop and see the USS Constitution and the battleship Mass. and some of Boston on the way up. You can stop in Corning and cooperstown as well. In NH you have a few suggestions. It is a wonderful area and you have a lot of mountains and trails and views. If you are going during peak season watch out for the traffic from NY and Boston going north, it will be crowded.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Niagara Falls is certainly worth a visit if you have not been before. You don't say if you will be traveling with a dog, but be advised that NH and NY state parks generally don't welcome dogs. There are some exceptions in each state. I haven't been to the Northeast recently so my info may be dated. Vermont state parks are numerous. You are almost never more than 30 miles from one. No electricity, sometimes no water or dump station available, but good quite overnight stops. Camping sites are small at most, but the BFT should have no problems. The maritime museum at Bath, Maine is interesting if you like the subject. If your route takes you near Gettysburg, PA, a stop at the battlefield is a sobering experience, but a must if you have not been before. I second the Cooperstown, NY Baseball Hall of Fame. There is also a Belgium style brewery (Omergang is the name as I recall) there that sells a very unique beer.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Montreal and Quebec City!
We recently visited both when en route to Northern Maine and the Maritimes.

For Quebec City we camped at the "Coop Camping St.-Esprit" (418-667-7582) in suburban Beauport. It's a super CG, with helpful staff, and is a pick up point for city tours. It's also within reasonable taxi distance to and from downtown. We were strapped for time so arranged a tailor-made tour. QC is next best thing to visiting Paris! Language wasn't a problem, though be patient<g>.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Let me add a couple of my favorites.

Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Me. Commissioned by Geo
Washington, it's one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world.

Mt Washington, NH. The highest peak in New England and the holder of
the highest wind velocity honor, a 231 mph gust during a storm in 1934.
If you have steel nerves and good brakes, you can go up the auto road
or ride up on the old steam powered cog railroad. On a clear day, the
view is spectacular.

Happy Travels, Roger
1999 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”