Mapping software

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I am very carefully not hitting submit twice and this is the second time this has happened so I don't know what is going wrong. It is a new HP laptop. The message comes up immediately as having been submitted, but only once.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Roger

Post by Roger »

Here is a site that has map overlays for various mapping programs. These
show the location of Walmarts, dump stations, Flying J, etc. Very handy
when traveling.

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
BonaProf

Mapping Software

Post by BonaProf »

I have found that there are different types of mapping software. Some work with your GPS; others encourage planning with lots of changes. What works best for us is a combination of Microsoft Streets and Trips, an online RV Review site, and I keep my GPS up to date with its own software.

We start our planned trips with Streets and Trips by putting in the overall trip, e.g. Ocean City to LA and back. I save that and than break it into segments for each day (about 200 miles per day). What determines where we will stay is to research through on-line campground reviews and places of interest. We use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ and find it more objective and easier to use than published guides. It includes chains like KOA, Good Sam and Passport campgrounds as well as state and national parks. The reviews are often up-to-date and from our experiences seem accurate. Once we are on the road, we program into our GPS device the campground's address even though we like to roam and explore. We turn off the sound on the GPS unless we are relying on it. This eliminates hearing the many "recalculating" warnings.

The best part of Streets and Trips is that it allows a user to add and subtract places to explore. It includes national and state parks and the campground sites within the parks. I enjoy mapping out our route day-by-day and to see what historic or natural sites are near our route. I also go to the on-line state parks' sites as well as national parks and recreation areas to see what is nearby. If I find something interesting on-line I redo the Streets and Trips maps. For me it's a hobby.

Once I have saved all the maps and sites I print them and place them in a three ring binder that follows our planned route.

I recommend buying Microsoft's Streets and Trips and then use the Internet.
John&Madonna Hoecker

Post by John&Madonna Hoecker »

After reading how you use the Microsoft trip planning software, I think I will get it for us. You use your setup about how we use ours (minus the mapping software). I have searched for free POI files like Walmarts, travel plazas, etc. to help us on our big trip next year. We normally stay at commercial campgrounds or state parks but we will be deadheading out and back, I think.

A web site I have found very helpful is http://freetrip.com. That way I can calculate where we would be based on miles driven per day. It also allows you to check for national parks, travel plazas, lodging, etc.
wxtoad

Post by wxtoad »

I'm one who likes the GPS on a laptop for the much larger screen it provides. I started with Co-Pilot 7, then 9, and finally 10. I gave up after trying CP10 - it was a major step backwards and much harder to use for planning. I then went to MS Streets and Trips 2009, with which I have been very pleased. You can download a fully-functional version for a 60-day trial run; if you like it, you'll need to then buy a copy to get the registration code.

Ted H.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I have ordered MS Trips and Streets - it sounds like what we need. It is backordered. Thanks for all of the advice. I also use rvparkreviews.com and find it pretty reliable. Hopefully this only posts once.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”