monitoring waste water tanks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I could newer rely on the reading of the waste water monitoring. Many times I got wrong readings when there was nothing in the tanks. I used chemicals to clean the tank, but not much help. Now I found the solution. I installed in each tank Horst Miracle Probes. That seems to solve the problem. The old ones consists only of a stainless screw were the head sticks into the tank. The new probes are about 2 inches long. The sensors for the black tank have a half cover over the top.

The easy way is just to drill new 3/8 holes next to the old ones. But I went the long way and removed the old sensors (screws).

The company that make those does not sell direct. I got mine from probes@rv probes.com. Tel 303-351-4506. Cost $70.70 including shipping. They are nice people to deal with.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 RSB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Did you have trouble removing the old sensors? I ask as I bought a set of the Horst sensors for the black tank and when I tried to remove the first sensor it wouldn't come out.

I asked Kim in customer support about it and he said trying to remove the old ones could damage the tank, just drill new holes.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

Yes it was a little hard to remove the old sensors. You have to leave a nut and the washer on the old sensor, move the sensor back and forth and apply a little pressure and the old sensor will come out. The tank is thicker than I thought.

Hans rueckert
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

I've had the same problem, and appreciate your finding and posting a solution.
Question: Do the new probe(s) connect to the readout panel above the stove, through the same wiring as the old ones?
hrgermany

monitoring wastewater tanks

Post by hrgermany »

Yes they do. Connect the same colored wire at their same sensor position.

Hans Rueckert
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

This has me wondering.... If you can take out the old sensors to replace them, can you take them out and clean them off and simply put them back in?
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

David and Susan Bratt wrote:This has me wondering.... If you can take out the old sensors to replace them, can you take them out and clean them off and simply put them back in?
You probably can, but it may be the conductive sludge on the inside tank wall as much as it is fouled sensors. It is not a lack of electrical contact to the sensor that gives a false reading, but just the opposite, i.e., electrical contact where there shouldn't be. So, cleaning the sensors themselves would only be a short-term fix at best, IMHO.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Astley

Re: monitoring waste water tanks

Post by Mike Astley »

hrgermany wrote:Yes it was a little hard to remove the old sensors. You have to leave a nut and the washer on the old sensor, move the sensor back and forth and apply a little pressure and the old sensor will come out. The tank is thicker than I thought.
I went back and tried to remove a sensor again but without success. I believe I will need to drill new holes. Unfortunately the top sensor (full tank sensor) is too close to a cross beam to allow drilling so will have to leave the old sensor in.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have no real interest in this discussion since I don't consider the inaccuracy a major problem, but here is a link to installation of an outside the tank device on a Lazy Daze MH.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylar ... gauges.htm
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Re: monitoring waste water tanks

Post by bcope01 »

Mike Astley wrote:Unfortunately the top sensor (full tank sensor) is too close to a cross beam to allow drilling so will have to leave the old sensor in.
Mike, would one of these 90 degree swivel drill chuck attachments help you get that top sensor hole drilled? I own one and have used it often. Costs $15 (on sale often for less) from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92188

Bill
Attachments
angle drill attachment.jpg
angle drill attachment.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 12714 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Nice suggestion! I didn't know such a widget existed. I'll check into it and see if it provides enough clearance. Thanks! :)
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thought I'd post an update to my project of installing the new sensors. I did end up drilling new holes as I could make no progress removing the old sensors. I had to use the right angle drill attachment from Harbor Freight that Bill suggested to even be able to drill the lower three sensor holes. The clearance for the top sensor is just too tight to the steel frame to be able to do anything with, so I left the old, topmost sensor in.

As I filled the black tank, the sensors all worked in expected order and the readout dropped back to empty when the tank was drained. And no leaks from either the new sensors or the old ones that I wrestled with trying to remove. So, success! :D

There are often "points of no return" on projects, and I had to calm my nerves a lot each time before drilling a hole into the black tank! :shock:

FYI, I did consider, earlier, the SeeLevel monitor that Dallas provided a link to. I love digital gauges vs. idiot lights! But in reading the installation instructions on their web site, they require a minimum clearance from other objects and the steel beam on my coach disqualified my RV.

I only did the black tank as I haven't had any problems with the grey tank display, and, in our usage, the black tank always fills up first.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”