trip routing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jerseypete

trip routing

Post by jerseypete »

In planning a trip, I have used Good Sam to get the route, which shows many things along the way, including all the GS Campgrounds, National Pks, rest stops, gas etc.
However, I also want to see the local towns, details of which towns I am going thru, the State parks, etc. ,so I can then find campgrounds online in these areas.
I thought I would take the suggestion I have seen of stopping at the welcome centers as I enter each state to get maps like this.
Is this a good way to travel?
Would I be better off using a directory to plan and plot my way?
I like the idea of trying to keep it simple, but also I do not like leaving things to chance and hoping they work out.
I guess I like the idea of taking time each day to plan the next day and the next stop, or if I am staying somewhere interesting for a few days, then planning the drive to keep around 250 miles or so to the next stop.
So I am seeking help from more experienced folks, to develop a simple but effective way to travel and plan the stops, so I can take advantage of this kind of travel and recreation, relaxing on the way to the next stop, knowing I will have a place to camp.
Please tell me what works for you, so I can chunk it all down into a simple strategy that allows me maximum use of a self contained BF
wxtoad

Post by wxtoad »

When entering a state that we haven't visited recently, we always stop at the first information center and get a state highway map, a state park guide, a private CG guide (which we seldom use) and the state's travel booklet, along with any local info we see that might interest us. Then at the first night's stop, we go through things and identify some places/things that we'd like to visit.

I also have a POI list of all US public CG's - federal, state, county and local.

We like to be flexible, so we very rarely make any reservations when traveling.

Ted H.
jerseypete

trip routing

Post by jerseypete »

Thanks Ted, good info. Can I impose on you to help me understand what is a POI list and how do I get one?
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Pete

POI = points of interest, if you have a garmin gps you will find many POI down loads at the following web site.
http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles There are many types of GPS units out there, I happen to have a Garmin. Others in the club will help you with other gps and sites. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

RVN4US
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Pete

Here is another site within the orginal site that I posted. It has so many POI that your GPS couldn't began to hold them all, but you can change as the need arises.

http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles/alpha
bill crommett

camp grounds

Post by bill crommett »

I have found State Info Center lists of campgrounds to be a disappointment. I buy a new Trailer Life CG guide every other year, and a Woodalls on alternate years. I find the Trailer Life book to be more informative and more inclusive, but it is getting too big and heavy, and I don't like the Alphabetical locations - by state

So I get a Woodalls book and cut it in two to give me a book that includes only East of the River and another book for West of the river. Much easier to handle and it stores under the passenger seat.

This assumes you will be going in one direction. If you try to go in two directions at the same time, you are in deep trouble anyway. That is what the river did at New Madrid, Mo. at one time.
jimnphyl

Post by jimnphyl »

You know you can buy Woodall’s regional directories, including Eastern and Western North America --- separately or as a set.
Jim & Phyllis

2000 24' Rear Bath
bill crommett

trip

Post by bill crommett »

I did not know that. Thanks .
wxtoad

Re: trip routing

Post by wxtoad »

jerseypete wrote:Thanks Ted, good info. Can I impose on you to help me understand what is a POI list and how do I get one?
Pete,

Others have beat me to answering - yes, POI stands for "Points of Interest" The files I mentioned that I have built are in the form of Excel spreadsheets - one each for east, central and west US. These files can be used merely as a reference source by themselves, or they can be converted into various formats and imported into GPS systems.

If you go to my web site (in the signature block) and look under the menu option "CG's and Camping Info" for "GPS/POI Info". There you will find the files, a lot of other info about GPS and POI's and where to look to learn how to convert and import the files into your GPS system. A number of great reference sources are cited there.

Good luck.
norijake

Post by norijake »

Welcome aboard Ted. Good to see posts from the owner of a Lazy Daze, a very fine motor coach.

Thank you for the link to your website. It is well done and full of great info. I especially like your "Musings;" definitely deserves a bookmark :-)

Toad, of Toad Hall, I imagine, a meteorologist, ergo wxtoad? Kenneth Grahame's novel sure did inspire a tremendous amount of creative activity throughout the world including Pink Floyd, Van Morrison and Iron Maiden... cool!

Happy 42nd!
2004 26' RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”