Freightliner chassis?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

MatthewKraft

Freightliner chassis?

Post by MatthewKraft »

Received a flyer in the mail today listing demos for sale, etc. and was surprised by the following statement:

"We offer Born Free's on either a Ford or Chevy chassis except our 32' model will be on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummns diesel engine and an Allision transmission".

I went to the website to see if I could find any information to find out about this Freightliner option, but didn't see anything. Then I searched this forum - no luck...

I assume this move is because the Kodiak chassis will no longer be available. We were very close to pulling the trigger on the 32 RQ, but the announcement earlier this year about the demise of the Kodiak put an abrupt end to that purchase. I wasn't about to put my years of savings into a vehicle that was made for a few years and was discontinued.

This could put the 32 back on my radar!

Anybody got any information about the Freightliner? What model, etc...
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Matt, I saw that too and got all excited. Born free, I doubt would design their own cab so it has got to be the 32 coach mounted to a Frieghtliner Business Class M2 100/106 series chassis. To see a picture, go to the internet and type in freightliner. Should be a horse. Now if they would only build a 22 BFT C/O on the Freightliner, Mercedes Benz, Dodge Sprinter chassis with some of the innovations found on the German Resisemobile's like heated holding tanks, space utilization and 22 mpg, Katy bar the door.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I would buy a 24 or 26 foot on a FL chassis in a heart beat. No second thoughts. That would be amazing and allow us to have a diesel generator too.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Don Pederson

Freightliner chassis

Post by Don Pederson »

I was at the factory on August 18th and talked with the CEO plus Ed Hunter. They chose the Freightliner, precisely because GMC will not manufacture the Kodiak anymore. They chose the Cummins engine also.
They checked with FORD, with International, and others, looking for a platform that had good service across the country. They might even use it on the 28 footer also. But yikes, it will cost you lots and lots of bucks. I did not get a specific price, but my hunch is it will cost you $5,000 to $8,000 more than a gas engine. And diesel fuel is outrageously priced.
Don Pederson, in Jacksonville, FL
John S.

Post by John S. »

Yes but you will get better mileage I would think and you can fill in cheaper states. Heck I filled my Foretravel up for $2.48 diesel and the gas price here in PA is $2.55 while gas at home was $2.27. Fuel is not a big issue that way as it will change where ever you go. As to $5-8K I bet that is a bit light. But then again heavy brakes and transmission and the ability to run down hills and to carry loads and have a diesel genset and probably increase the net CCC a bit too. Those are all great deals and wonderful additions. Gulfstream has a great unit out there on a Freightliner chassis right now.
MatthewKraft

Post by MatthewKraft »

Thanks for all the responses. Interesting stuff.

The extra cost of the Freightliner would mean we would likely have to save for a couple more years before we could afford the BF.

We really like the floorplan of the Rear Queen, but frankly I'm worried about the Kodiak chassis knowing that they're no longer manufactured. I plan on keeping the coach for many years, and no matter how good it might be, eventually it will need to be serviced. If the chassis is no longer made, will it even be possible to get it serviced?

Thanks for the input.
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
Rich Flaugh

Post by Rich Flaugh »

I have owned two BF units and now a 36"diesel pusher. Loved the BF quality but hated the harsh ride of the Ford truck chassis and the marginal power in the mountains. I would certainly consider another BF with diesel torque and air suspension.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Looks like the flyer I got says you can get a Freightliner in a 28 foot wide body. That is pretty neat.
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

I hope they design a roof cutout for access to the cab seats in the Freightliner. That was one thing I did not like with their Kodiak design.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

The nice lady I bought my used 26 RSB from replaced her BF with a DynaQuest, about the same 26' size, but rated to tow 10000 lbs. She wanted to tow a boat that weighed 8000 lbs or so. The DynaQuest is built on a Freightliner chassis. I don't know the price, but looking at the specs, I would expect the cost to be a nice chunk of change. A very nice chunk.

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/products.php?m=dynaquest-st
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

Has anyone heard anymore on this? When will the Freightliner Born Free be available?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”