New member with questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

41Woodie

New member with questions

Post by 41Woodie »

Greetings, new owner of a 2001 24' RB and full of questions. First concerns the illuminated plastic handle beside the house door. I spoke to the factory and was told that the handle contained a common 12v light bulb in the upper metal portion that provided the illumination and was available at most auto parts store.
Mine contains a flexible plastic "bulb" that is the length of the transparent portion of the handle. When I removed the retaining screws water poured out of the lower portion of the handle, the "bulb" doesn't light up so I'm assuming it's damaged. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, is the "bulb" available?
Second (and last, for now) There is a black rocker switch on the side of the pantry cabinet above the coach. It's about 1/2 way up the side beneath the TV platform, I can't determine what it controls. I checked the owner's manual but don't find a reference to the switch.
Any information is appreciated, thanks.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have a 2002 26' RSB model that probably had the same lighted assist handle your has. Mine also developed a leak several years ago and water got into it and shorted out the 'string bulb' assembly like yours apparently has. That short caused the thing to smoke and it was determined to be non-repairable as a result. I live only 78 miles from the factory in Humboldt, IA and that particular brand and model of handle was no longer available so the factory replaced it with the current model that they now use on the newer coaches.

Contact Kim Olson at the factory at phone number 800-247-1835 for his recommendation to fix your problem.

Sorry, but I don't know what that black rocker switch is for either. Ask Kim about that also.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Is the switch near the door? It may be for the overhead light just in fromt of the bunk (or entertainment center if you have one). If the switch on the light itself is turned off then the rocker switch will not work.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

If the inside of your handle looks like my 2003 one, a type 178 auto bulb is the correct one. I replaced my original bulb with a LED bulb, as well as changing the step light to a LED bulb, also a 178. This reduces the illumination to a level that works well as a night light, not too bright to be a distraction to my sleep. The current draw is much less too. If you change the handle light to a LED one, get one that projects the light to the side, not the end like the one I have for now in mine. The handle will be much brighter.
Attachments
Born free handle1.JPG
Born free handle1.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 13909 times
Born free handle2.JPG
Born free handle2.JPG (6.5 KiB) Viewed 13909 times
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
jimnphyl

Post by jimnphyl »

I don’t know about the “bulbâ€
Jim & Phyllis

2000 24' Rear Bath
41Woodie

Post by 41Woodie »

thanks for the info on my questions, looks like I need to call Kim and order a new assist handle. Mines black instead of chrome and the paint is pretty chalky so I can kill two birds with a new handle.
I'll check the ceiling lights connection to the switch I aked about and see if that answers the question. If not I'll post a photo so you guys and guyettes can see what I'm talking about.
buchanan

blcck rocker switch

Post by buchanan »

it turns on and off the light in front of the bed, just turn on the top light and you can see what I mean

Russ Buchanan
41Woodie

Post by 41Woodie »

That was the right answer on the switch, thanks to all. Now to order a new handle
41Woodie

Post by 41Woodie »

As a followup to my last post, I contacted Kim at the factory. No deal, the newer type handle mount is different than the older one like I have. It would require filling and painting the holes left by the original mount. I really didn't like that option so I'm going to update my old one by cleaning and repainting. Then I'll try and add a socket for a small 12v bulb in the upper handle mount and silicon the plastic tube to seal it up.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I found a place in Elkhart Indiana that is an RV factory outlet store that carries 3 different types of these handles. This is truly an overstock place, not a camping world type place. It was quite interesting. It's on a main local highway that goes south off the Indiana Tollway. If anyone is going through and is interested, I'll get the info for them, as I bought some of that white seam center stuff (they have 10' rolls for under $2 and 25 foot rolls for not much more.)
41Woodie

Post by 41Woodie »

I'm assuming that the handles you mention are similar to the ones on our coaches. By chance did they have the 12v flexible tube bulbs as used on the older handles?
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

My coach is an '05 and has the newer bulb type, not the rope light. So I didn't even know the older type existed, and dint' check for it. I did see 3 different types of handles that light and are clear in the center. One was like mine. Two were different...and since I was unfamiliar, I didn't notice if they were rope lit in the center.

I'm just saying that there are places like that outlet to look for things that places like Camping World don't carry, and the dealer can no longer get. Also check for things on ebay or craigs list, places where people who have coaches with those types of fittings may sell an extra set.

Born free may not be able to provide you with what you need, but someone out there might... but since I wasn't looking for your particular item, I can only tell you that they had a few different styles of this type of handle, and they might be worth a look. When I go to the coach tomorrow, I'll dig up the receipt and see if they have their details on it. I pray I didn't toss it because it was less than $2 purchase. I'll let you know...
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Our 26RB was completed in October of 2001 and has the handle described at the following http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/displa ... ct_id=1685. I don't know if it is the same as yours, but thought it worth checking.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”