Melting decal or label on Generac Generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Phyzzle

Melting decal or label on Generac Generator

Post by Phyzzle »

We have a 2009 24' RB purchased in April and we're brand new to Leap'n Lions. The Guardian generator works perfectly, but the plastic decal on the side around the on/of and prime switches has melted and is all scrunched up around those switches so you can hardly operate them! The Generac website referred me to authorized service here in Olympia, WA and I'm happy with them. They were puzzled about the melting decal and called the factory who insisted it was installed wrong and is therefore getting too hot. Therefore they would not cover replacement of the label under warranty. So I called Kim Olson who says all the Generac generators on their lot are doing that and some have even been installed by Generic themselves. He insists it is a Generac issue and should be covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem and how have you worked it out? I have an order in for a new decal (that I paid for) but it feels like everyone is passing the buck on this.
bill crommett

Passing the buck

Post by bill crommett »

Welcome to the RV industry standards.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

It could be interesting to use an infrared thermometer to see what the temperature is at that spot, and find out what temperature range is normal, according to the manufacturer of the generator. An alternative to a new decal would be to have someone skilled paint the info onto the case instead.

Those thermometers are handy for other things too, such as checking tire temperature, or oven settings accuracy, refrigerator temp, insulation voids in your house, etc.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
John S.

Post by John S. »

I would say that Bornfree Warranty is in effect and they can deal with generac on the issue.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Assuming that the decal in question is located on the Generac generator itself rather than on a body panel of the Born Free coach, then the warranty responsibility belongs to Generac
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I agree with Bill Hemme. IMHO, saying that Born Free is responsible for a failed label applied by Generac on their generator is like saying Born Free is responsible for a Michelin tire that fails while driving down the road due to a manufacturing defect. Same logic applies to a battery that fails prematurely. The warranty on these items does not apply to the vehicle manufacturer, but instead to the end user. Therefore, if the item in question is installed and carries it's own warranty, and that item fails, then resolution rests with the manufacturer of that item.

That said, many times Born Free will step in and intervene on our behalf with equipment manufacturers out of good will.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”