Broken TV Backside

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mquade

Broken TV Backside

Post by mquade »

FYI, On a recent trip out East we went over a bump and the back of our TV, where the support bracket screws onto the plastic backside of the TV, broke. It broke to the extent that it just about fell off until my wife caught it. Ours is a 2008 BFT.

I suggest to those with similar models to consider adding a support tie down at the top of the TV of some kind to assist holding the TV on the bracket. Plastic fatigue may have caused the problem, as the TV does bounce around a bit.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We have a 2008 24RB and had the same problem. We are trying to figure out what kind of alternate bracket to use - as the TV housing is now broken, although the TV is fully functional. It would seem that firms that make TVs for RVs would be better about putting firmer (like metal) reinforcements on their mountings.
We plan to speak to Kim when we are in Iowa for someother modifications and see if there are any suggestions for better brackets or some type of repair.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Rob

Post by Rob »

Recently I installed this bracket in my 24RB.
http://tinyurl.com/kkxa7y

See LCD installation post on 06-19-09. Roger did a wonderful job. Using his input I had no trouble. Forgot to say the TV holds very steady. You will not be disapointed with this bracket.

Rob Beery
2003 24RB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Just curious, if before the repair, you were to unfasten the TV from the wall mount, was the broken part the wall mount assembly or was the broken part the back surface of the TV itself?
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

As always:
Attachments
Thread Needs Pics.jpg
Thread Needs Pics.jpg (199.92 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I have a very sturdy mount, but I take my TV down for longer drives, and throw it face down on the bed. Saves on all the bumps that would weaken things before it breaks them. If I'm only moving a few miles at a rally, that's okay and I'll leave it up. For an all day drive, I take it down. It's worth the few extra minutes to protect my investment, considering the roads.

Those last 3 words are the key point. Considering the roads. Some are great. But there are others that explain why every long-haul trucker ends up with back problems.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

The problem was not with the mounting hardware. It was the plastic housing on the back of the TV that cracked. The area that was designed to attach to the TV mounting is not reinforced with metal or anything else sturdy - which would be OK if the TV was mounted in a house, but not in a vehicle that has traveled 35K miles in about 18 months....
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
mquade

Broken TV Backside

Post by mquade »

I fashioned an additional support out of tin, screwed it onto the back of the TV, and then back onto the original support, with reinforcement(plastic wire tie). I doubt it will break again. However, if one looks closely at the backside of the TV you can see the fix! Its the only downside.

On another note, I called the company that makes the TV (In Canada). They will make any repair for a cost of $65 plus shipping. Not bad.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”