Texas

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dsfriday

Texas

Post by dsfriday »

Anyone have first hand knowledge about wintering in Texas that they would like to share. My wife and I, last year, spent January and Feburary in Florida and for the most part it was cold and rainy, overall, we were not that impressed with Florida, so this winter thought Texas and specifically the Brownsville, Port Isabel area might be the ticket. Overall, we are all about exploring, don't like to stay anywhere to long, a week anywhere, unless its absoultley drop dead gorgeous, warm and they are paying me, is long enough. Our concept is to start January 1st in the warmest part of Texas and as the weather warms move along the Rio Grand thru Texas into New Mexico, Arizona and eventually ending up in Palm Springs, Ca. before returning to Iowa.

We prefer National Parks, State Parks and nice but not extravagant Private Parks, in that order,which put us in contact with bicycling and kayaking opportunties. Would make reservations for the Brownsville, Port Isabel area but as we move west would like to just walk in when and wherever we light. Don't know if that is a practical expectation given the time of year.

Whatever input you can provide regarding above wouuld be appreciated.
purdum

Post by purdum »

We go to Texas from Pa after Christmas and stay at Park Place Estates in Harlingen. Lots to do in this park as well as many others in the Harlingen area. Port Isabela is a little run down, Padre Island has a few but mostly full. You can camp on the beach, just don't get stuck. Big $ to get towed. We then head west to Falcon Lake State site for a week of so. Quiet, lots of birding, wildlife. Then on to Big Bend area. We stay at Study Butte private campgrounds but have stayed in the park sites also. Lots of wildlife areas from Brownsville to Mission, Tx. Weather is generally good. Early morning fog from Brownsville to Harlingen. Windy on occasion and NO BUGS. People are friendly, sites are cheaper than Florida. McAllen has great senior activities and Golden Age Olympics.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Ron & Toni, bye chance have you seen the RV Park at Long Island Village Rental Center in Port Isabel. From description on their website looks inviting. Its proximity to the water would provide kayaking opportunity and possibly we could bike from Port Isabel to Brownsville. Is the road between the two bike friendly? But your decription of Port Isabel being rundown tends to throw cold water on this idea.
Mark Ireland

Post by Mark Ireland »

My wife and I have been spending part of winter in Port Isabel and South Padre since 2003. We own an RV lot in Long Island Village - it's a very nice community, but only has about 5-10% RV lots now - mostly stick-built homes and park models (about $650/month). We spent the first 3-4 years in Isla Blanca, the county park at the south end of South Padre - it has a great location (5 minute walk to the beach in 3 directions), but they could stand do do some work on the restrooms (and watch out for the sand burrs). In our experience, it really fills up after Jan 1, but we weren't there last year and don't know what the economy's impact was (about $400?/month). There are several older, inexpensive parks in Port Isabel.

I have no hesitation recommending Port Isabel/South Padre - yes, some spots may look a little rundown, but many excellent restaurants with people who truly welcome the winter Texans. The climate is generally conducive to being outdoors (although 3 days in the 40s can really be chilling).

The bike ride from Port Isabel to Brownsville should be good - about 20 miles of mostly new 2-4 lane roads. You will have some fast moving traffic. There is a wildlife refuge nearby that would probably also make a good bike ride.

The whole Rio Grande Valley is a wonderful place to winter. The natives really work at making the Winter Texans feel welcome.

We'll be in Long Island Village November and December - if you make it there give a holler!

Mark & Karen
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

"Texas Public Campgrounds" subtitled "A guide to federal, state, and local government administed facilites" is a comprehensive guide to almost every public camping site in the state. It even contains water and river authority campsites. We've used it many times for overnight stops in small Texas towns. But it also contains Corps of Engineers and state park camping suitable for a stay of a week or more. The guide is available at Texas Welcome Centers or you can write Texas Department of Transportation, Travel Division, P.O. Box 141009, Austin, TX 78714-1009. Or call 800-8888TEX. I don't see it listed on the www.traveltex.com website, however. I've not found a more comprehensive and useful guide from any other state. I think it is a bit unusual as I've not seen anything like it elsewhere. I love it!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dallas Baillio wrote:"Texas Public Campgrounds" subtitled "A guide to federal, state, and local government administed facilites" is a comprehensive guide to almost every public camping site in the state. It even contains water and river authority campsites. We've used it many times for overnight stops in small Texas towns. But it also contains Corps of Engineers and state park camping suitable for a stay of a week or more. The guide is available at Texas Welcome Centers or you can write Texas Department of Transportation, Travel Division, P.O. Box 141009, Austin, TX 78714-1009. Or call 800-8888TEX. I don't see it listed on the www.traveltex.com website, however. I've not found a more comprehensive and useful guide from any other state. I think it is a bit unusual as I've not seen anything like it elsewhere. I love it!
And here it is in PDF (Adobe Reader):

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-inf ... mp_gde.pdf

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill, Thanks for finding it online! Makes me want to be "Gone to Texas."
It is a lot of fun to get way off the beaten path and stay at some of these small town campgrounds. We like the one at Iraan on U.S. 190 in West Texas. Not much of a campground, only a few sites, but interesting outdoor exhibits and displays about the oil boom. Now that it can be viewed online, have any of you discovered a similar comprehensive guide for public campgrounds for another state?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Sam, last winter was our first venture into Florida, basically went around the state, starting in Gainsville, to Daytona, Orlando, the Keys, then back up on the west side thru Tampa and out thru the panhandle to Louisana. Except for the Keys it was cool, wet & windy, and the Keys had an odor which in areas I found offensive. Everyone said last year Florida wasn't as warm as usual.

Using input from above, this winter going to Texas, stopping at Mustang Island, South Padre Island, Port Isabel, Misson, Amistad Reservior, Balmorhea State Park, then into NM and Rockhound Sp, over to Messa, AZ to visit friends and then to the Salton Sea and Hot Dessert Springs, Ca., then to Carbondale, Co. to visit new grandson before heading home. If you have any input on above let me know. Thanks, Denny.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

When you are in the Indio/Palm Springs area besure to get off of I-10 and see some beautiful areas and lots of water and flowers - over 130 golf courses
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

dsfriday, just 30 miles west of the Salton Sea in my favorite winter RV Park - The Springs at Borrego Resort & Golf Course located in the beautiful California Anza Borrego Desert State Park (the largest state park in the U.S.). Guaranteed that once you stay there, you'll want to return. Here a link to their website: http://www.springsatborrego.com/

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

bcope01, in the Salton Sea area have you seen the area refered to as the "Flats", its evidently just out in the desert, come who may, looks wild, thought I try and stop there for an evening to see wife's reaction.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

dsfriday, no idea where the "Flats" are that you mentioned, unless that is the area between the Salton Sea and Borrego Springs. The area immediately around the Salton Sea isn't too wonderful generally, although the California State campgrounds along the Northeast side of the sea are nice.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Barb & Bill, I stand corrected it isn't the "Flats", it is actually called "Slab City" located somewhere in the Salton Sea area.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

OK dsfriday, now I gotcha. Slab City is on the other (Eastern) side of the Sea from Borrego Springs. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

"Slab City or The Slabs (located at 33°15′32″N 115°27′59″W / 33.25889°N 115.46639°W / 33.25889; -115.46639) is a camp in the Colorado Desert in southeastern California, used by recreational vehicle owners and squatters from across North America. It takes its name from the concrete slabs and pylons that remain from the abandoned World War II base Marine Barracks Camp Dunlap there. A group of servicemen remained after the base closed, and the place has been inhabited ever since, although the number of residents has declined since the mid 1980s.

Several thousand campers, many of them retired, use the site during the winter months. These "snowbirds" stay only for the winter, before migrating north in the spring to cooler climes. The temperatures during the summer are forbidding; nonetheless, there is a group of around 150 permanent residents who live in the Slabs all year round. Most of these "Slabbers" subsist on government checks (SSI and Social Security) and have been driven to the Slabs through poverty; some of the "slabbers" also have a strong desire for freedom from the American government.

The site is both decommissioned and uncontrolled, and there is no charge for parking. The camp has no electricity, no running water or other services. Many campers use generators or solar panels to generate electricity. Supplies can be purchased in nearby Niland, California, located about three miles (5 km) to the southwest of Slab City.

Located just east of State Route 111, the entrance to Slab City is easily recognized by the colorful Salvation Mountain, a small hill approximately three stories high which is entirely covered in acrylic paint, concrete and adobe and festooned with Bible verses. It is an ongoing project of over two decades by permanent resident Leonard Knight.

Slab City was featured in the book Into the Wild and also in the 2007 movie of the same name. The video for Fourth of July by Shooter Jennings is partially set at Slab City."

If your wife is like mine, I don't imagine yours is going to enjoy your stop there, should you choose to go. In fact you might want to retain a good divorce lawyer before you leave on your trip. :lol:

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Bill, I can imagine the look I will get when I pull in, can't wait. What kind of weather can I expect in that part of the country around mid February. Also, my wife has never been to the west coast, while we are in the area, thought we could venture there. Do you have any recommendations for a nice little out of way park (State or Private) along the coast between San Deigo and LA?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”