Ultraheat tank & Pipe Heaters

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Anybody have these on their coach? Are you satisfied with the result or was it a waste of money? The more we get into this RV thing the more we want to go but are pretty much done after September until we go south in January. Ideally, I'd like to RV whenever or wherever but that means finding something other than a Born Free. However, what ever I own, unfortunately tends to become part of the family and I keep it forever, so don't see giving up the Born Free anytime soon but the Ultraheat system might give us the opportunity to extend the Fall RV season. Per their ad, they warn about making sure your converter is up to the task as some of the heaters draw up to 4.1 amps. Our Born Free is a 2008 22 BFT C/O with the standard Parallax converter but I have replaced the mechanical transfer switch with the newer electronic model. What ever comments, opinions and experience you have RVing in a Born Free at or slightly below 32 degress F. would be appreciated. Also noticed a lot of heat is lost in the cab area, and the pass thru storage bays so need some ideas on better insulating these areas. Just want some plan B options to use if and when we get caught in a below freezing situation. Thanks, Denny.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

For anyone that might be interested, here is the manufacturer's website for the Ultraheat product:

http://www.ultraheat.com/

And here is a thread on Rvnet discussing the system:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 358841.cfm

There are others, Just type ultraheat tank & pipe heaters into your search engine.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Dear "ds...",

Here's to winter camping--clink, clink! That's been one of our primary joys with our 2006 BFT. At first we did consider tank and pipe heaters, but decided to forego those complications, and simply go "winterized," and back to basics.

For drinking water, we carry a 5 gal plastic jug (one that's flexible and has a convenient spout). Sits handily in the large side of the galley sink. Depending on length of stay, we store some smaller jugs in an under-bed compartment (kept open a little at night so they don't freeze).

In the john, a plastic jug of water, kept in the lavatory sink, serves adequately. We mounted a drinking glass holder on the wall for misc uses--including for "flushing" the john with a couple pours from the water glass.

At start of each trip I put RV antifreeze in the otherwise-empty black water tank. A gallon or two depending on trip plan and temp forecasts. Not scientific but works.

For heat, a portable electric fan/heater (quiet!) is usually adequate, but when outside gets down around 20F we flip a coin to see who gets out from under the covers and turns on the furnace. Husbands usually lose.

For power, some ski areas have parking spaces with outlets. Where not, some motels will let you use their outdoor outlets (maybe only 15 amp, enuf for our space heater). Our fav ski area, Stevens Pass, WA, has a few dozen RV spaces, all with 30/50 amps, only 5 min walk to the lifts!

Have fun, and don't let RV life get too complicated!

R.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We had tank heaters installed on our 2004 26' RSB when we bought it new and we have used them with no problems. However, we have found other problems camping in very cold weather that have caused us to not do it the last few years (such as, my husband says he is a wimp and the problem aren't worth it). Our problems have been the dump tank valve freezing so that we couldn't dump the toasty tank contents until we bought a heat gun or it warmed up enough outside that the valve thawed out, forgetting to dump antifreeze in the shower drain and it froze and generally keeping the interior floor warm enough when it is below about 20 degrees. Then there is the whole issue of de-winterizing and winterizing again in a cold climate when you have to put the BF in storage after you use it. Depends on your tolerance for these things - I would do it, my husband won't. We now generally take it out for a day trips in the winter to ski and don't de-winterize. We live in northern MI.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I forgot one more thing - be sure that there is a relatively convenient place to dump your tanks in the winter. For us, it is a state park 45 minutes from home with the water shut off. But, Ray, I like your method and will try it this winter. I love winter camping if you ignore a running fresh water option in the BF.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
jerseypete

ultra heat tank and pipe heaters

Post by jerseypete »

Ray, thanks for an excellent post. I do not do simple too well, but I know it when I see or hear it, and it is usually elegant, like your post.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”