tow dolly lights

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

litehous

tow dolly lights

Post by litehous »

I have a tow dolly with lights on the fenders that work great. I tried to add magnetic lights to my towed car, but they were too dim to see. There was too much voltage loss, down to 7 volts. Have other members had this problem, how did they fix it? I tried a new ground wire straight to the battery, it didn't help. Do I need extra lights on the towed car by law?
Thanks for the help.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

You are trying to run too much current through your set up. There are units that connect directly to your battery to supply the power to run the extra tail and brake-turn lights. It is the power wire, not the ground wire that makes the difference. These are often used in cars that have light burned out sensors that are tricked by the trailer lights into giving false burned out bulb warnings. I had mine installed by the new car dealer when I bought my Subie WRX, to power the trailer lights.

Easy to wire yourself, if you are handy. Watch the routing of the power wire, the professional installers from the car dealer routed mine through the rear suspension, it chafed through and shorted out after a few years, it was a challenge to diagnose the cause for the frequently blown fuse.

See: http://www.drawtite.com/modulite1.html
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
litehous

Post by litehous »

Thanks for the info, I thought I needed something like that. I hoped to hear someone give me an easier way to do it.
RVN4US

Re: tow dolly lights

Post by RVN4US »

[quote="litehous"]. Do I need extra lights on the towed car by law?
Thanks for the help.[/quote]

I towed my car from Iowa to Florida and return with only the lights that are on the tow dolly with no tickets or problems. I also see additional lights on the trunks of cars being towed. Is this the law or the party just being careful?????

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”