Super Springs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

golferdhm

Super Springs

Post by golferdhm »

I just had some Super Springs installed on my '08 27' RB and my initial impression is that they are a great improvement. The rear end is raised over 2 inches, which I think will make a big difference in the "bottoming out" effect and the ride, particularly over bumpy areas, seems much improved. However, I just got them, so we'll have to see how they settle out over time and if our initial impressions are lasting impressions.

The cost was $526, which included installation. Installation took a little over an hour. There was a little more struggle putting them on the driver side than on the curb side, because of the extra weight on the wheels under the kitchen gives just a little less clearance, however installation on the curb side took less than 20 minutes. Also, be advised that mine is an early model 2008 (but on a 2008 chassis) and there were no conflicts in the installation with LP lines or gas lines, as I understand is the case in some of the newest models and maybe some of the older models.
whemme

Post by whemme »

By Super Springs do you mean parabolic springs? And do they completely replace you existing rear leaf springs or are they add on springs retaining the original leaf springs?

Who did you have install the springs?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Not sure if this is the SuperSprings product Don is referring to, but here is a Quicktime movie showing the installation on a Ford F350:

http://www.supersprings.com/images/supe ... s_ford.mov

Looks like it supplements the existing leaf springs.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

The Super Springs I had put on are those that are in the link given by bcope01 above. They are additions to the springs that are already there. I believe that Born Free is considering putting them on their new coaches. I was in contact with Kim Olson at Born Free about the springs before I put them on. At the time they were going to retrofit some to a either a late model 08 or a new 09.

I had them installed at a local trailer dealer located in Hendersonville, NC, where I live. They have installed these springs many times on various trucks and RVs. I was referred to them by the district sales representative for Super Springs.
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

On the BF website for the new 22' RSK, "Super Springs" are listed as chassis standard equipment and no mention of the air bag assist.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

Just having looked at the BF website, I see that they are listed in the standard chassis equipment list for all of the 09s as "premium equipment," whatever that means.
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

I believe "premium equipment" refers to the V-10.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Don Cannistraro

Supersprings

Post by Don Cannistraro »

I had them installed on my 2008 27'RSB last July.
Couldn't be more pleased. I carry approx 50# in the airbags. Only have about 3000 miles since installation.........another season should determine final outcome. Only problem now is to keep weight up-front. Rear axle pretty close to limit.

don
bill crommett

springs

Post by bill crommett »

By elevating the rear of the coach, it could effect the caster of the front end. Question: Has the added springs changed any of the handling characteristics ?
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip and noticed no difference in the ride or handling, except that it seems to ride better over rough or undulating parts of the interstate. Since they are putting them on the new coaches, I doubt that they expect any problems with the front end as a result of adding the Super Springs.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have a 2003 24RB. Interested in the Super Springs you speal about.

Hoping that in addition to curbs into gas stations etc. that it might help level out the coach front to back and decrease the feeling that the front end is somewhat light.

Any thought welcome.

Rob Beery
2003 24RB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

We have 2011 24RB which has Super Springs and no air bags. So far I would rate ride as about same as previous 2001 23RK, also on a E450 chassis. Handling of the 2011 is a little squirrelly, but I have yet to check alignment. The 2001 had air bags which I kept at minimum pressure since unit was high in the rear anyway.
For what it is worth, I have been told that sometime after first 2008 models, Born Free switched from air bags to Super Springs due to complaints with the 27 footers dragging on ramps.
The one 2008 24RB I saw had been retrofitted by BF from air bags to Super Springs. Anyway that was the owner's story. He considered the Super Springs an improvement.
Incidentally Camping World sells and installs these springs.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
dmews001

Post by dmews001 »

We had Super Springs installed on our '07 26RSB a couple of weeks back, just in time for the new season. For quite a few more $$ than the original poster I have to say. But that's just California.

Since they don't interfere with the factory installed air bags I left those in place - barely inflated to some 30 psi now. My first impression after picking it up from the shop was "it almost drives like a car". Not a Formula 1 really, but very much noticeable. Feels tighter if that's even the right expression. Less sway also. You can feel a slightly elevated seating position behind the wheel - a tiny bit tilted forward.

As others mentioned here, the suspension absorbs impacts better - my wife noticed less rattle on a pretty bad section of interstate 580.

So much for the subjective part. But that's just a very welcome side effect. The primary reason we had Super Springs installed was that the rear dragged pretty badly on our sloped driveway. Sure, the drag rollers prevent damage to the driveway (and the coach of course), but I always felt a little uneasy about that. This is gone now, as the rear end got approx. 2 inches of lift. That took care of the drag issue.

On a side note: I previously replaced the factory shocks with Koni FSD and that was the first major improvement I noticed. This was more than a year ago. For me the Konis in conjunction with Super Springs now make a very nice driving BF.

I need to "play" a little bit more with the air bag inflation. It seems to me I can leave them deflated. Anybody tried that?
Detlef & Ursula
2007 BF26RSB - painted
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Do not leave air bags completely deflated. That will likely ruin them. 20psi or so would be fine.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”