Cabot Trail

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rick Huber

Cabot Trail

Post by Rick Huber »

Betsy and I are starting to plan our trip to the Canadian Maritime Provinces this summer. We intend to spend a fair amount of time on Cape Breton Island, and the Cabot Trail. For anyone who has traveled the Cabot Trail, would you recommend doing it with the BF pulling a Jeep, the BF alone, or the Jeep alone spending nights in a cabin or motel? We understand that driving the Cabot Trail is something else!
Thanks for any input.
Rick Huber
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We were on the Cabot Trail in our previous motorhome, a Roadtrek 200 class B, 20'. I don't remember the Cabot Trail to be particularly difficult, so I certainly would do it in our 24RB. We don't tow, but I think it would be OK as far as driving the trail itself. The main problem would be if you wanted to get out at some of the parking areas to do some of the walking trails. The parking lots, as far as I remember, would probably accommodate a 24RB, but almost certainly not that plus a toad. So, I would either do the toad or the motorhome, but not both. If you want to simply drive the trail, it is certainly doable in one day.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

We did the Maritime Provinces this past summer. We stayed at the Bras D'or Lakes Campground, rented a car in Baddeck, and took day trips all around to see the sites. Some of the sites on the other side of the Trail from Baddeck took a while to get to, but we had rented the car in Baddeck and I couldn't see moving both vehicles around and then having to return to Baddeck to turn the car in. If you pull your jeep, I think you'll have the best of both worlds. Pick 2 or 3 strategically located campgrounds around the trail and venture out from there.

I recommend you take a unmounted spare tire for the Born Free, as tire selection there is VERY limited, at least from what I saw.

I would also, highly, recommend PEI while you're up that way.

You'll love it!!!!!

Ed & Ann Marie Coyle
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

At the far north tip of Nova Scotia is a spot called Meat Cove. It is at the end of the road, as I remember turns to dirt. In 2000 we ventured up this road in a 20 ft Toyota powered (4 cyc) Dolphin motorhome. The owner of the property at the end of the road operates a boondocking campground in the summer. He placed us within ten feet of the edge of a cliff that overlooked the water. A magnificent view of pilot whales, soaring eagles, and beautiful skies. We hiked up a nearby hill for an even more breathtaking view. However, during the night, the wind picked up, the motorhome rocked, and I became apprehensive we might go over the side of the cliff. Around 2 a.m. we moved down the road to a safe provincial campground!! If you are adventurous, try Meat Cove.

Here is a link: http://www.cross-country-trips.com/meat-cove
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”