Things to Bring & Favorite Changes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Post by Brent »

Just to comment on a few of these items.

I always carry a crock pot (3 qt. $14 Walmart) fits in the sink and doesn't draw much power and can run off of the inverter while traveling (doesn't need the generator).

George Forman grill, and toaster (may drop the toaster and just use my cast iron skillet or the GF grill). I use a French Press for coffee (doesn't require electricity) , clean up is simple at least for me. I use a small shop vac from Home Depot ($19). Very powerful and fits in the cabinet.
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I am late to the party on this thread, but since there is a discussion about dog hair and vacuums, I would like to ask Born Free owners about traveling with their dogs.

We have a 26' RSB and THREE Standard Poodles. On occasion we have taken one or two of them with us on weekend outings close to home. Obviously, they are large dogs for such a small space. But they are very well behaved and very good travelers. (Also non shedding so I can't join in the vacuum discussions).

We take other trips of two to three week duration and leave the dogs at home with a dog/house sitter. When they are left behind, we miss them and find that we don't get as much exercise using weather as an excuse! We would consider taking one or two of them on longer trips except for the fact that we like to sightsee, hike and do various things where dogs are many times not allowed to join in. (Museums, some hiking trails, many public places, etc) If weather is cool and cloudy, they can stay in our "toad" car. But more often than not, weather is too warm for that. Then they would have to stay back at the coach, inside, with the air conditioning on. I would worry about a power outage and them getting overheated in the coach, or being a nuisance with barking while we were gone. So, we have never left them behind. Consequently we find we are limited in doing all the things we want to do when they are with us. In addition, when we travel with them we find that the trip becomes "all about the dogs". Are they too hot, too cold, do they need to be walked, is it time for feeding, did we bring enough water, etc. And meanwhile, we've missed seeing the Grand Canyon!

What accomodations do any of you make when you travel with your furry friends?
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

I'm laughing while I'm reading your post, only because so much of what you relate describes us . . . and we travel with one (very spoiled) cat, not a dog. We also worry about all the issues RE: temps, water supply, etc. But when we leave her at home with a pet "visitor" we return to reports of her being very unhappy and completely unsociable during our absence.

So, we will be interested in any advice about Born Free travel with pets. Maybe you should post this question in a separate subject line to get more responses.

Barbara
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”