Things to Bring & Favorite Changes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Things to Bring & Favorite Changes

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I don't remember what website I saw this topic but it was sort of fun and interesting to see what RVers do to make their homes on wheels fit them. One of the things noted that was a must to bring, was a crock pot. As I travel solo alot and watch what I pack in my 2nd home...I was surprised to see a small 2 qt. crock pot at Wal-Mart. Just my size so I bought it. Then as I was walking in my favorite RV Park, I noticed a lot of people have a little lamp on their tables so that they don't have to have the over head lamps on (too bright) or the small side lights that I don't particularly use. Anyhow, I had a small lamp at home, so my next trip I'm bringing it. But, I guess my favorite thing is the fact that I have my own bed with my own Travasak and my own pillows...I sometimes feel like a bear getting ready to hibernate....Love that bed! Anyhow, I also bring a small carafe for my coffee so I don't have to re-heat it or have the coffee pot plugged in...Total spent on the carafe & crock pot....$18.00...Now if I could only figure out how to keep the carpet covered with a rug that doesn't 'move', I'd be happy! Oh Yes...and getting my BF pic reduced enough to make it my avatar....yep! That would REALLY make me happy!
David and Susan Bratt

favorite additions

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Go to "Travels with Gertie" and scroll down to the index at the bottom of the page and click on Improvements. This gentleman has created a wonderful website with information about his improvements to his LazyDaze motorhome, but much of the information can be used on any RV.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We've talked about getting a small crockpot/slow cooker. However, we've never even used one at home and wonder if we would use it on the road. Would love to know how many use crockpots/slow cookers.

Recently purchased an inexpensive "hot pot" for heating several cups of water water quickly, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Agree with Charlotte about snuggling up in the Travasak and having our own pillows. Helps it feel more like home . . . and that's one of the best things about travelling in our vacation home on wheels.
Barbara & Ken
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Charlott
Years ago when all the units were less than 32 feet they use to have small electric frying pans, small crock pots, and many other small items. Even though we had several large diesels, my wife still carried all the small appliences. I looked in the Camping World catalog and don't see these anymore. I bet if you went into a camping world while travelling and look around you might see these small appliences there.
Manufacturers make large rigs and industry thinks they have to have large things to go in them. Yes we had a bunch also, but my wife still likes the small things. That is what we put in the BF. They don't take up much space and don't have all the weight of the large appliences. Good luck in finding these small items. You might look in Wal Mart also.

Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Toad
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Charlotte, we also love our Travasak. Our BF is in our driveway right now in northern MI to go in for a windshield replacement tomorrow and I am dreaming of sleeping in the Travasak in the little back bed of the BF! Why anyone would think such a thing in a large, warm home with water you don't have to empty from its various receptacles is beyond me, but there you have it. We traveled for our first 3 week trip without a toaster and now carry a small one. We really missed it. Dumb, huh! We also use a small George Foreman grill with removable grilling plates a lot. We prefer to cook our own meals most of the time so I carry basic spices and oils and things like chopped frozen onions, etc. If you cook a lot, I learned this spring on our five week trip to carry anything at all weird that you use a lot. For me, it is real maple syrup. They don't sell that in Utah! We used a french coffee press for a while but tired of cleaning out the grounds. It became the second least favorite task to dumping the tanks. Now we use a four cup automatic coffee maker and a thermos. We also took an electric skillet and never used it. I am finding many uses for clear plastic storage bins of all sizes. The most amazing thing to me so far is how little that we really need to be perfectly content for a very long time! Our 2 dogs help. If I could just find a really good and powerful small vac that takes up dog hair I would be content.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thanks for sharing Judy, and Don too. Don, I think you misread my post. I bought the small crock pot & it is now 'resting' in my motor home. I also bring a small elec. frying pan....love to make sliced potatoes, onions, Italian sausage and green peppers with a little olive oil...Oh my..makes my mouth water. I cook whenever possible in my little kitchen. Had that counter extension put on & it helps with space a lot.
Took her in for a propane fill up and gas so I'm just about ready to go. Checked my coach batteries & they seem fine...Had to call my Mechanic to see how much water they're supposed to have. He said just over the cell wafer like things. Good thing I called as I thought the water should be at the top. As I usually take her in for service & have them take care of that, this was the 1st time I checked it myself as she doesn't need servicing now. I bought that curtain that attaches to the visors & side windows...Wow...it really is nice & opens up the coach so much. One of the things I do when traveling alone is use a smaller plastic storage box which I put next to me. I keep my books on tape, a small towel, some snacks, water, etc. in there so I can be comfy going down the road & not have to stop. Course the GPS sits on the dash, so I don't need maps anymore. But that little holder sure works well for me....
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Oh, yes! Do NOT overfill your batteries, or you will take my place in dunceville for doing it and having to replace the whole battery slide out drawer!

If you overfill, and then plug in for a few weeks, they'll boil over and make a PRODIGIOUS mess! And it will eat and eat and eat (acid) your tray and the handles and anything else metal and then it will rust and the drawer won't slide anymore and then you'll pay a pretty penny for Born Free to put a whole new drawer and rollers in for you!!! <g> Guess who you'd win the booby prize from??? <g?>

Charlotte, I want to see what you did with your curtains in your rig when you get to Quartzsite. I do rememberhearing you say you're going, right?

I have a different setup that works great for me and bird.

hope to see you there!

Trish
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Judy, we travel with our cat, so we also have a similar problem with getting rid of pet hair. We use a small Shark canister/stick vacuum and it's great. It has a hose and attachments, so we can vacuum all surfaces. But we also keep one of those sticky lint rollers on hand, which helps us do a quick cleanup of cat hair from upholstery, etc., when we don't want to use the vacuum.
Barbara & Ken
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Trish...Yep...That's what I'm getting ready for...so I will see you there!! I missed the one last year but this year is different. I'm stopping in Bakersfield on my way down & then onto Needles to pick up a few friends. We'll caravan the rest of the way to Quartzite. It's going to be a great Rally, I'm sure. Can't wait to meet everyone. The Born Free people are so great, and it'll be fun exchanging ideas and experiences. So get your BF ready cause you simply can't miss this...and I'll be sure to look for you...but bring a warm coat cause it gets pretty cold at night. And if you haven't met Jeff & Linda yet, get ready to meet a really terrific couple. They represent our club and our BF RV's with class and good old fashioned friendliness...You're definitely gonna love them. As far as the curtain I have...it's called Easy Curtain and they have a website. But let me show it to you first...I think you'll really like it. I know I'm very pleased. See you soon..... :P
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Judy Harris wrote:Our 2 dogs help. If I could just find a really good and powerful small vac that takes up dog hair I would be content.
We travel with a 65lb shedding shepherd and would be lost without our Red Devil Ultra portable vacuum. It has a rotating brush that lifts the hair from the surface. I've found hair from our dog, because it is long and straight, will often get embedded in the fabric and a vacuum without this rotating brush feature will not work well at all. I've got one for the house and one for the RV. Bought them at Target for around $30.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Wow I was just looking at one of those today. They have a Dyson that's called the "animal" because it has the rotating head as well... but I don't want to take my huge vac with me and my small can vac doesn't have a carpet attachment. I am looking for a small solution but birdseed is more my problem. <g> And that gets EVERYWHERE. My bird shoots food (seed shells) at me for fun and entertainment.

I may have to get that thing it was only $34 at Wally world.

But I want something that will do both the floor and carpets and I really don't want to crawl around on my hands and knees but I may decide that's a fair tradeoff.

Charlotte, I'm already on the road with this BF, I live in Minnesota but I'm down in East San Diego Cty right now. It won't take long to amble up toward Quartzsite from here. I have my heavy winter coat with me. Maybe we ought to have a contest to see who can look the most "eskimo" (No disrespect intended to Alaskan's of native origin) -- using it as a style benchmark. It's a down snorkel parka good for below zero and way too warm for much over zero degrees F. Also have my snow boots and some fleece clothes and longhandles :) Left on christmas day from the northern climes and just never know..... If I get caught in the mts without snowchains I may need all them clothes. Poor bird would become dinner tho. Hopefully that never happens but can never be too careful.

I think I'll opt for a more moderate jacket, even for nights at Quartszite! I was at the Branson MO rally, were you? Did I meet you or see you and just don't know it? yes this is a superb group of people! Although watch your keys at my table. <grin> (Maybe MaryAnn will see this and be able to laugh now...)

Trish

toadless this trip
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Trish...No, I wasn't able to go to Branson, but I'm sure everyone that did go had a great time. I was in Durango, CO for my very first BF Rally & met some really nice people there. I'm about ready to leave tomorrow, just have to pack the last minute things. I have the 26' RSB BF with Calif. plates...But, Jeff & Linda will know where we all are & I'll check with them to find you. I don't know exactly when I'll be getting to Quartzite cause we are making a few stops on our way there. I've never been there before but I can see from posts in other websites that it attracts thousands of people. As we'll have our own site for BF owners, that should take care of parking worries. So...I will definitely see you there! Drive safe....
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Trisha wrote:I don't want to take my huge vac with me and my small can vac doesn't have a carpet attachment. I am looking for a small solution but birdseed is more my problem. <g> And that gets EVERYWHERE. My bird shoots food (seed shells) at me for fun and entertainment.

I may have to get that thing it was only $34 at Wally world.

But I want something that will do both the floor and carpets and I really don't want to crawl around on my hands and knees but I may decide that's a fair tradeoff.
Trisha, I love our little Shark convertible canister/stick vacuum . . . and I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees. It has great suction power and moves effortlessly between the vinyl flooring and the carpet. And it takes up very little space in the rear closet of our BF. We purchased ours at a Linens N Things store three years ago, but don't know if they still make that same model.
Barbara & Ken
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Barbara, is your Shark a plug in model? We have a small rechargeable Shark with a rotating brush attachment but it only works for about 24 hours and our little Cavaliers shed a lot! I never realized how much they shed until we spent a lot of time with them in the BF and the fur has no where to go. It sort of spreads out more at home and I have a central vac. For anyone considering it, I have read very mixed reviews on the Dyson pet vac. Some people with Cavaliers love it, some hate it. Charlotte and Trish, have a great time on your travels! I am very envious sitting here in northern MI. I am predicting the next great snow storm in the northwest for around Feb. 1. We are taking the BF from MI to the mother ship in Iowa for some modifications at that time. lulled by the mild weather and lack of snow right now. But, beware!
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Judy Harris wrote:Barbara, is your Shark a plug in model? We have a small rechargeable Shark with a rotating brush attachment but it only works for about 24 hours and our little Cavaliers shed a lot! I never realized how much they shed until we spent a lot of time with them in the BF and the fur has no where to go. It sort of spreads out more at home and I have a central vac. For anyone considering it, I have read very mixed reviews on the Dyson pet vac.
Judy, our Shark is an electric model, not a rechargeable. It does not have a rotating brush attachment or electric power head, but the floor brush does a very good job in the Born Free. We also have a central vacuum at home, with a power head carpet attachment, but the hose isn't long enough to reach the BF. So, we really have to depend on the Shark to get the job done in the BF. I like the Shark's canister feature, because I can use the hand held dusting and crevice attachments. The one thing I don't like is that it can be difficult to remove the floor attachment and attach the hose for use as a canister vacuum. The release buttons are difficult to press and are located in an awkward position. Last year, the floor attachment was broken when the BF was in a shop for work. I think when the coach was moved, the person driving it wasn't very smooth, because all the loose items were thrown around the coach. I had left the vacuum in an upright position with the floor brush attached, and it was broken off at the base of the vacuum. I was able to order a replacement floor brush, but it took three months to get it delivered. Now, I detach all the vacuum parts before storing it in the back closet. In fact, I put all the parts, including the canister, into a large container to keep everything from being thrown around when we're on the road. It's certainly not as sturdy as a Dyson, Eureka, or Hoover, but I've been quite satisfied with the compact, collapsible design and suction power.

You can see this vacuum at the Shark website. Go to www.sharkcompany.com, then click on the stick vacuum option at the top of the home page. Our Shark is the EP600 model. The price quoted on the website is about $30, but we paid $60 when we purchased our Shark. As I wrote earlier, we purchased our EP600 at Linens N Things about three years ago. Don't know if they still carry it, though.

A few months ago, I saw another vacuum at Wal-Mart with a collapsible handle and hose attachments, but cannot remember the brand . . . it may have been a Hoover. However, I think it still might take up a lot of space in a BF.

Hope you find the vacuum that works best for you. And I hope you enjoy the rally in Quartzite. Don't know when we'll be able to attend a rally . . . maybe the Albq. Balloon Fiest next Fall, especially if we still live in the area then.
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”