Security/Alarm

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

Security/Alarm

Post by TomP »

What do you guys recommend as far as a security/alarm system for your RV?

I don't live in a dangerous neighborhood and I can easily disable the RV's engine from starting so no one could drive it off even if they had a key.

My concern would be folks trying to gain access to the RV to sleep.

Any ideas?
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We had one installed in our previous Born Free. It turned out to be a real "pain in the a__." It would go off with changes in the weather and whenever the wind would shift the coach. The floor sensors were intermittant. In short, after about a year, we disabled it.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Many years ago I heard the phrase "insurance poor" meaning you can get carried away with trying to cover every possible event or disaster that may happen to you. Be sure you really have a need for a security system before you invest. Sometimes the insurance premium for a few years will easily be more than any loss you may have.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
John S.

Post by John S. »

I do not have one. I think it would be more of a pain. I would just keep it locked and check on it often.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
hrgermany

security alarm

Post by hrgermany »

When I bought my RV you had to turn the headlights on to start the engine.A few times I forgot to turn the headlights off -dead battery-.Now I
have an ignition kill switch.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BR 26FT RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I reread my post of Feb 12th and now realize I goofed. I did not mean to imply you would buy insurance, but the post sure sounds that way. What I meant was that the chance you will need a security system, that it will functlion correctly and that it will prevent a loss is of a low enough probabililty that you may be well served by simply applying the dollars saved by not investing in a system to cover any loss you may have.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”