New BF 28 WB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mary Ann

New BF 28 WB

Post by Mary Ann »

Hello All! I've just traded my07 BF24 RB for an 09 28 WB, and like it very much, especially for the extra inside width. Have to use a step stool for some of the extra height, but that's okay. The Chassis is a Chevy Kodiac, which is very different from the Ford I am accustomed to driving. It is equipted with a Links Compression System and there is little or no info about it with the coach. Would appreciate hearing from other Leap'n Lions who have this unit (40 were sold!) and how they like the steering. We find it extremely sensitive, and prone to fishtail (yaw) at speeds over 50 mph or in very windy conditions. New in my life as a widow, is a wonderful sweetheart/life partner and we both drive it. We are considering adding steering struts. Comment for any and all would be welcome. Look forward to seeing plenty of you soon. Missed Homecoming, because my refrigerator quit cooling two days before I was scheduled to leave. It had to be replaced and took a couple weeks...however it worked perfectly after the repair.
Mary Ann
John S.

Post by John S. »

I do not know if it is an exact help but RV.net has a class C section with a number of owners with the same chassis as yours but not built by Bornfree. It might be another area to get some information on handling of your unit.

I will say it is more of a truck than the your last one. I find the RB24 footer easy to drive but not as easy as the Foretravel. I have driven the kodiak one time and it was more truck like than the 24 footer too. It is a heavier chassis and uses heavier springs.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
MatthewKraft

Post by MatthewKraft »

Congratulations on your new coach Mary Ann. Late last year, we traded our 2006 RSB for a 2006 32RQ and it's the most comfortable coach we've ever had (3rd BF). The extra width and ceiling height makes the coach seem huge inside by comparison to our old RSB models. We were concerned about storage, but after we loaded everything, we found we have extra space than we did before - just in different locations...

The Kodiak does handle differently than the ford chassis. Best way I can describe it is that it handles like a truck - not a car. It took a couple trips before I was used to it. The turn radius is much tighter than on the ford, which gives the sensation of being more sensitive to movement than the ford. Actually, now that I've put a couple thousand miles in the coach, I like it much better than the ford. You do tend to notice ridges on the road more, but overall I feel more confident in the steering. During slow speed driving, the coach feels like it sways more than the ford, but on the road there is much less movement. MDW gets motion sick at the thought of a road trip, but she is able to sit in the back and read in our 32RQ - she could never do that in the RSB. I've not had any problems with the yaw or fish-tailing. I know the tire pressure is much higher in the Kodiak due to the heavier load range tires - make sure that's not a problem.

Also, the RSB had a horrible habit of dragging the backside whenever any slope was encountered. I've gone up a 40degree incline driveway in the RQ and not even come close to scraping.

Agree that the documentation isn't very good. I downloaded an installation manual and user manual from www.linkmfg.com - You have to look in the "non-current production" section. It's called a Links Ultraride system. I believe you want 2 manuals: 800M0050 - Air Control Unit, and 8M000030 (Links Chassis components).

The one maintenance item to pay attention to is to drain the air tank daily when in use (removes water from the lines). The cord to pull on is smack dab in the middle of the coach - on the bottom of the coach. I bought a manual choke cable from NAPA and mounted it on my step on the driver side. I attached the end of the cable to the air release on the air tank, so now I just pull a knob to release the moisture.

The other thing I've determined that is required prior to any driving (after parked for more than a 8hrs or so) is to "dump" all the air (via switch on the dash). Then turn on the pump to re-inflate the system (via another switch on the dash). Wait until the pump shuts off and then drive away. We do this because 2 times when we parked overnight and didn't do this, we experienced violent porpoising when hitting bumps - really scary. All it took to resolve the problem was to dump all the air and re-inflate, so now we do it each time before we drive.

Matthew
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
Mary Ann

New BF 28 WB

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for your most helpful reply, Matthew! Will try dumping each day and re inflating the Links System, as we definitely have not been doing that. Usually, each day, we restart, the Links system reloads automatically, sometimes it even does that while in transit, if the road surface is quite different from what we have been driving. We have put a couple thousand miles on the unit already. We do love the roominess and find the storage arrangement does give us much more room than the 24 RB, but really miss the bath in the 24!We will check the websites you recommended and download the manuals. That should be a BIG help. I do not understand what lines you are referring to as the "air tank" air tank for what? you said the pull is in the center of the coach on the bottom (do you mean underneath?). That location would be the "center of gravity" for the coach and we have been concerned with the effect of the center of gravity. Thanks again, Matthew!
whemme

Re: New BF 28 WB

Post by whemme »

Mary Ann wrote:I do not understand what lines you are referring to as the "air tank" air tank for what? you said the pull is in the center of the coach on the bottom (do you mean underneath?). That location would be the "center of gravity" for the coach and we have been concerned with the effect of the center of gravity. Thanks again, Matthew!
Mary Ann,

The air tank Matthew is referring to is the special tank for the Link suspension system that holds the pressurized air to inflate and operate the Link UltraRide rear air suspension system. The system as installed requires that the owner basically climb under their coach to reach the tank valve in order to drain the accumulated water. As part of the normal operation of the Link system's air compressor, water vapor in the air will be converted to liquid water and will accumulate in this tank and also in the connecting air lines going to the associated air bags that needs to be drained out periodically. Draining out this water is especially critical in freezing conditions that could cause the Link suspension system to freeze up.

This air tank draining procedure is discussed in Link's trouble shooting info provided at this factory website link. http://www.linkmfg.com/ultraride/troubl ... leshooting.

You should have received the Link system owners manual inside the big 3-ring binder containing all other installed things such as refrigerator, air conditioner, water heater, etc that Born Free provides with every delivered new coach. You will note that in the above website link that Link offered an optional remote tank draining control that the Born Free factory elected not to put on your coach. Matthew modified his coach with his own remote draining control because crawling under the coach to drain that tank every day will really get old quickly.[/url]
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
MatthewKraft

Re: New BF 28 WB

Post by MatthewKraft »

As usual, Bill is correct. I'm sorry for not being more specific about the air tank. According to the manual you must "drain" the tank daily to remove moisture from the system. Moisture in the system can lead to component failure over time. We drain it daily when in use, but not when in storage. We store it with the air system dumped, so moisture in the lines shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Hopefully you received a 3-ring binder with your coach. We did with our previous coaches but not this one. We did receive a folder with some of the owners manuals, but nothing for the Link system - guess that's a risk you take when you purchase used.

We did consider purchasing an 09 28 WB RSB we saw at the Iowa RV show, but when we viewed the layout of the 32 RQ (and the price difference for a used 2006), we went for the used coach.

Looking forward to Spring thaw so we can take ours out of storage again!

Safe travels.
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
Mary Ann

Links air system

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for your reply and For Bill Hemme's comments. We did not receive a manual on the Links System, only a short sort of pamphlet with very little information. I did download the manual as you suggested and we really appreciate the info and read about the need to drain the air tank. Most of the equipment in the coach is covered with good info, but not this. Ours is a new unit...not used. Part of the problem is that Born Free can no longer get the Kodiak chassis, so is back to using Ford, and doesn't need the Links system anymore. It is quite cold here presently...going down into the thirties nightly. We are not accustomed to this cold winter in this part of Florida. There is only one RV place in this area, and we are going to see if they can rig a way we can drain the air tank routinely. In the meantime, is there a downside to dumping it when we park for a day or so at home?
Thanks again for your advice and help.
Tonyg

links air system

Post by Tonyg »

We have a 32' Born Free on a Kodiak chassis. Ours is a 2009 model and it has an extension to drain the water tank which was put on by Born Free when new. It comes out just behind the driver's door so no need to crawl under the RV. It's a very simple system that any mechanic could install. All we do is pull on the ring which is attached to a heavy gauge wire connected to the drainage valve on the tank. When we shut off the RV I just pull on the ring to release any water. Takes about 10-15 seconds. The amount of water is minimal. I have yet to see any in fact.

Really like the Kodiak chassis. Handles well and like the short turning radius. A shame it was dropped by GM. Still a lot on the road and the engine and transmission are very common. Good luck with your RV.

Tony
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Tony:
Thanks for your reply concerning releasing the moisture from the air tank on our Kodiac Chassis. Coincidentally, Friday we were at our local RV repair business (where they have repaired all the electrical problems we had with our outside lights) and asked our mechanic about the possibility of installing a switch to release the mositure in the air tank. He looked under the coach, and found such a switch existed under and behind the driver's seat. Glad to learn it was installed by Born Free, since we had no documentation stating such. We too love the turning radius on our coach, and wonder if you experience "fishtailing" or "yawing" on the highway at speeds of 55 mph or so? Our problem with this is greatly reduced since we had the front end alighned and all six tires trued, plus repaired the right rear tire which had a huge leak, causing the psi to fall sometimes to 20 psi! Now, we are considering installing a strut or a stabilizing bar, and wonder if you have experienced a problem like this? Would greatly appreciate your reply, or comments from any other owner of a BF on a Kodiac Chassis.
Thanks again!
Tonyg

new 28WB

Post by Tonyg »

So far we have been happy with the handling. We did get it aligned when we first got the RV. Also had it weighed at all four corners and keep a close watch on the tire air pressures. Try to balance the load as best as possible however all the rv's I've had from Born Free have all been heavy in the back on the drivers side. Have not had any fishtailing.

Tony

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”