Generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Generator

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have a '99 BF & a Onan generator. I use it seldom & it has few hours on it (maybe 66 or so). When I had trouble getting it started, my mechanic did a tune up & told me that it would need a new carburetor. Since then it has been parked at my son's house due to my problems parking it at my house. He has not run it periodically. I just got it back to my house & tried starting it. I finally got it started after trying 6 or 7 times & I ran it for approx. 15 min. (so as not to create problem with neighbors) or so & turned the air cond. on. I then waited 2 days & went through the same routine. It finally started after 6-7 tries & again I ran the air. This time I waited after turning it off for about 10 minutes & tried starting it again. It started right up. My question is, if I keep 'exercising' it every few days, do I still need a new carburetor? They're wanting $500 to do this & I am very short on $$$. Your opinions will really be appreciated. I do most of the maintainence but I am NOT mechanically inclined so this is not something I am familiar with. Thanks in advance.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Charlotte;

I think from non-use the carb can get "gummed up" and cause problems.

When you are first starting it, are you "priming" it before starting it? It has to be primed to get some gas to the carb. If not it may start after the 6-7 times you state, since you trying to start it is also getting that needed gas to the carb.

If it starts and runs ok, I would save the $500, especiall if you seldom use it.

John
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

John....What is priming? All I do is start the BF engine, then I wait a minute or two & push the start button for the generator...Isn't that all I'm supposed to do? Does that first 'try' sort of 'prime' it? Is that why it takes 5 or 6 times before it starts & stays running? (Sorry, maybe my questions or dumb, but I don't know anything about this generator stuff).
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I expect you will get a lot of advice. Here is mine. If after starting, your generator is running evenly - no surges or hesitation - then I would do nothing for now except make a resolution to exercise it at least once a month and for at least an hour, better for two initially. If after a few months of exercising it (and you could do it every week during that time) it still is hard to start I would take it to an Onan/Cummings dealer. It could very well need a carberator replacement. Low hours on a generator ares not a good thing. It needs to be run regularly to keep it in good shape. To me priming means pushing the start button for an instant but not long enough for the generator engine to "catch" and begin to run. If your generator is in really good condition this isn't necessary because the generator will start almost instantly. Any comments or corrections by others? Feel free, as I know you will!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Dallas...thanks for the input. It does run eventually after I've pushed the button & let it try to start a couple of times. It'll start & run for a few seconds & then go off. But by the 5th or 6th time, it starts running evenly. I've already been told by my mechanic that I need a new carburetor....that's the $500 (installed) price I have. I was just asking that if it eventually runs, does that mean it's not necessary to get a new carburetor....????
BornFree_n_Now

Here's what we do :>)

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

If your generator is eventually idling out smoothly after 5 minutes, or so, and then running with AC on without surging, I would not buy a new carburetor, BUT, would advise you to, especially during long-term storage, and really anytime you run your generator less than biweekly with new gas, to keep an adequate level of STA-BIL 22239 Marine Fuel Stabilizer in your RV’s gas tank. This insures that, when you do exercise your generator, you leave it with the stabilized fuel in it, which will go a long ways in preventing the gumming of your carburetor which, from the sounds of it, could at least be part of your problem. This approach has worked for us after we were experiencing similar problems.
Last edited by BornFree_n_Now on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Blyon

Generator

Post by Blyon »

Hi Charlotte - If you will utilize the primer button, push on the stop side of the generator switch and hold it down for several seconds (10 to 15), then hit the start side of the switch. Let the starter crank for 5-10 seconds and if it doesn't start, repeat the process. You may have to repeat the process 3 or 4 times if the generator has not been started in a few weeks. The generator should then run smoothly. Bill Lyon
Bill Lyon
karls

Post by karls »

If the generator eventually starts and runs ok I question the suggestion to spend $500 on a carburetor. The problem is almost certainly that the fuel mixture is too lean. This is normal for a cold, carbureted engine and is what a choke is supposed to handle during the initial start and warm up period.

The previous posts regarding a "prime" function were a surprise to me as my Genset has no such feature. But apparently your Onan does and using that should allow the generator to start, but won't keep it running very long if the choke isn't working right.

There may be an altitude adjustment on your Onan (there is on my Genset) and if that is set for Colorado or some such high elevation your solution may be to set it to sea level. There must be something written in your manual and on the Onan about this.

Another trick I would try is to push the primer, start the engine, and then just as it starts to die push the primer button (not the starter) again. This should keep it going a little longer. You may have to repeat this primer action a couple times until the Onan keeps going.

If the above suggestions work than the solution is a tweak to the automatic choke setting (not a new carb).

Let us know how this works.

Karl Striedieck
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Charlotte;

My generater has a prime button next to the start/stop button. I have to hold that in for a few seconds then try starting it. If it doesn't start on that first try, I relese the start button after a few seconds and try it again. It usually starts on that second attempt.

If it is real cold out, and/or I haven't run the gen in a while, it may take 2 primes to get it going.

Remembr the old saying about priming the well? Same idea here.

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Charlotte,

If the settings on your carburetor are in the correct positions I agree with others that you need to run the generator more often and for a least a minimum of one hour while using items such as the air conditioner, electric heater etc. If you are concerned about the neighbors I suggest a short trip to a parking lot such as walmart taking along a good book or watching tv for an hour or so. A bottle of wine might be another consideration. The attached picture shows the two adjustments that need to be correct with the ONAN system. The winter setting would be used only if the temperature would be below 40 degrees and with the altitude setting for your location. Both of these are easy to change. Our coach was built in 2001 so there may be some difference with your generator, as example there is no prime button on ours and probably not on many of the Onans. The saying "use it or lose it" definitely applies to generators.
Attachments
2001 Onan generator.jpg
2001 Onan generator.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 27273 times
Mel & Connie
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

All of these messages assume that you have a gasoline generator. Is that true or is it a propane generator? You didn't specify what kind of generator you have. Also why do you have to start up the motorhoime engine to start the generator? It should start using the house batteries. I agree with the advice to take it to an authorized Cummings/Onan dealer for diagnosis and also to "exercise" the generator at least once a month as specified in the owner's manual.
bfmc4fun

Post by bfmc4fun »

Just read about someone on RV.Net and a $500. carburetor. He tried an additive called Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment and said it worked on his generator. Something about ethanol fuels and gum-up. Has any one tried this product. http://mystarbrite.com/startron//conten ... 6/lang,en/
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Hi, Sharon. Ditto on using a stabil product when you are storing the rv for a while. We did not know to do this and 2 years ago had to replace the Generac carburetor due to gum up (and a lack of adequate exercise). Now we put stabil in a full gas tank and run the generator to put stabil in it before storage and we have been able to exercise it every 3 weeks or so while in storage. But, we don't use marine stabil, just an auto brand and so far we haven't had a problem. Larry and Sharon, should we switch?

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Chuck and Judy, According to the Sta-Bil page

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

“Marine Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment & Performance Improver contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventers and more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL to prevent against corrosion and deposit build up in Marine Engines. Use AT EVERY FILL UP to protect your boat or other marine equipment from the damaging effects of Ethanol in the marine environment.â€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, we will switch to the marine variety!

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”