Hinges

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Replacing Hinges

Post by whemme »

Sam Ryan,

Since each cabinet door is attached with two hinges, the remaining good hinge will still support the door adequately when removing the broken hinge. So you can either attach the replacement hinge first to the door or first to the cabinet frame using the old screws - which you do first is your personal choice.

Some posting on this topic have stated that they found replacing these hinges to be somewhat difficult. As far as I am concerned they are relative easy to replace and are attached with a total 5 screws for each hinge. I just use the multi-tipped black handled screw driver that Born Free supplied with each coach sold.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jhillis625

Revisiting the hinges

Post by jhillis625 »

Hello, all this is to address the failure of the rivits in the hinges in the overhead doors. As I stated in a previous post these rivits seem to be the weak point of these hinges.
Early on when these hinges began to fail we got new ones from Bornfree and being the frugal guy I am, began to figure out how to repair them.
In my previous post I stated that I used 2-56 screws! 4-40 screws are the correct size, forgive me for that error.
Hope fully these pictures will help.
Jim
Attachments
DSC00025.JPG
DSC00025.JPG (54.61 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00033.JPG (93.64 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
DSC00028.JPG
DSC00028.JPG (120.48 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
bill crommett

Hinges

Post by bill crommett »

Trish : I will take a picture tomorrow, but I am not sure I am smart enough to post it on this forum. However if you can give me your e-mail address I know how to transmit an attachment.

Bill

Dave and all the others : Thanks for the locktite suggestion. I haven't used Locktite for 40 years, and had forgotten all about it.
bill crommett

hinges

Post by bill crommett »

Trisha :

The third picture Jim Hillis posted will give you a good idea of the problem screw. If you look closely just above the horizontal squigle you can see the end of the screw protruding through the captive nut
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

These pictures help a lot. I'm going to look at mine. And then reread this thread.
BikerJohn

Re: Hinges

Post by BikerJohn »

So, I thought I'd revive this old thread and see if anyone knows where these hinges can be purchased? I just found a couple of broken pop rivets, so I'll be purchasing some 4-40 bolts (or the correct size - I'll measure it with a caliper to verify), but I do want a couple of hinges on hand in case they fail while traveling for ease of swap out.

These look pretty close, but I'll need to verify yet. http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/InsideRV/ ... H-HS100-SN
John

2004 26' Rear Bath owner!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

BikerJohn wrote:So, I thought I'd revive this old thread and see if anyone knows where these hinges can be purchased? I just found a couple of broken pop rivets, so I'll be purchasing some 4-40 bolts (or the correct size - I'll measure it with a caliper to verify), but I do want a couple of hinges on hand in case they fail while traveling for ease of swap out.

These look pretty close, but I'll need to verify yet. http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/InsideRV/ ... H-HS100-SN
Or here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Loaded- ... 2616784137

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have repaired these broken hinges with missing rivets using 4-40 short machine screws and low profile AN364 4-40 locking nuts. A couple of sources for these special nuts are from two different aviation hardware sources, Aircraft Spruce and Chief Aircraft as shown below. A bag of 50 nuts from Chief Aircraft costs $15.95 and they are available for $0.09 each from Aircraft Spruce.
Attachments
Low Profile 4-40 nuts from Chief Aircraft
Low Profile 4-40 nuts from Chief Aircraft
Optimized-Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.07.28 PM.jpg (233.71 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
Low Profile 4-40 nuts from Aircraft Spruce
Low Profile 4-40 nuts from Aircraft Spruce
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.05.13 PM.png (239.23 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

John,

We purchased replacement hinges from RV Locks and More. Model H-HS100-SN were an exact match.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re:

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

w5vthdonb wrote:Bill
I don't know what kind of nut is comming off your doors. Do you have the room to put a locknut on the bolt. These can be purchased from any hardware store. These are the type of nuts used in aircraft. If you have a tow hitch and look at the nuts on the bottom of the arms, you will see they are lock nuts also.
YES! The locking nuts work just fine and make for a permanent fix - tho the 'fixed' hinges are sloppy and noisy.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”