tire chains

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

MB & Tony

tire chains

Post by MB & Tony »

Any suggestions while travelling from northern to southern climates and having chains for the tires on board? I understand that they cost several hundred dollars and weigh about 80+ lbs/chain, not to mention very difficult to put on/take off. Am thinking that I'd rather have them, just in case, but not sure it's worth the weight/cost. Appreciate knowing what other BF owners do in this situation.....
Mike Jean Bandfield

Tire Chains

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I got a set of Z style cable chains at a local farm store for $65. ('Could have paid twice as much for the same - so shop around.) They provide adequate emergency needs when traveling through the mountains and I wouldn't travel without them. I only put them on the outside duals. They meet the legal requirements and provide peace of mind. Having said that - my real strategy is to make every effort to avoid putting them on - by that I mean finding a nice campsite at the bottom of the mountain and waiting for clear roads.

In my experience the cable chains work fine. The new Z type go on easily and weigh ~20#s for the set. I've never had one break and never wore a set out since I've never used them more than 3 times in the life of a vehicle and never drove them over 20 miles.

If we were avid skiers and used chains frequently, I might consider dual link chains.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Do you know that snow chains are illegal to use in Minnesota. Where it snows alot!

They torture the roads. We make people just learn to drive in snow.

I prefer to stay out of mountain snow situations if there's a possibility of a heavy snowfall. That said, a good set of quality treads and a ton of common sense and SLOWING DOWN is far better insurance.

maybe snow is one of nature's ways of keeping the genetic stream cleaned out?

Trish
bill crommett

c hains

Post by bill crommett »

I know chains only too well, having grown up in northern Wisconsin. But since I have matured and moved south I have a different attitude.
If it is going to snow, I stay home.
If I am caught on the road and things get slippery or deep, I hunker down and wait it out.
The only excuse I can see for going out in bad weather would be to get to my dying mothers bedside - but she died in1942, so I have no excuse.
But then I don't live in Montana, Idaho, or Colorado, Minnesota, or Wisconsin.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”