rear bath black stuff

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

rear bath black stuff

Post by Trisha »

I am wondering if anyone else with a rear bath BF has the same issue as I do. On the inside of the cupboard doors on the overhead cabinets ijn the bathroom, a black, almost powdery substance seems to collect. I thought it was from the hinges but ?

Does anyone else have this?

It's icky to get off, it sticks to the putty that holds the mirrors in. Is it something to do with the mirrors?

It couldn't possibly be soot from the water heater could it? I don't get this anywhere else in the bathroom. None of the other walls, shelves, closets..nothing else gets this. Just the inside of the cupboard doors of the "medicine chest" over the sink/vanity.

Anyone else get that and what could it be?

Pat
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Pat, Sounds like MOLD to me. Once it gets in the chalking I don't know of anything that will get it out. For the cupboards & doors use strong mix of bleach and water with just a dash of soap. Now check for a leak, it came from somewhere, are you using the overhead fan during showers? Yea, I know it's cold when you do-----but it gets rid of the moisture. George B
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I don't think so (no disrespect intended George.). I noticed black powder in the sink the first trip with the MH, new from the factory and it's been doing it ever since. It looks like it's coming out of the hinges in the overhead cupboards. I always (maybe forgot once) use the fan when I shower, and the unit is only 8 months old... like I said, it was like this since it was brand new. That doesn't sound like mold to me.

It was doing it before I ever took a shower here.

I'm thinking something else. I'll keep looking...

Pat
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I haven't seen the black stuff you mention but sometimes powdered graphite is used to lubricate hinges and locks and the like. I have a tube of it in my workshop. It is black and with a bit of moisture or oil could form a substance like you describe.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

That sounds like it. When it falls into the bath vanity, it does look like it fell in powdered form. It looks like a powder. It's not runny or liquid.

When I found it on a hinge in the front overhead, I started to think that was it perhaps.

But then, those cupboards don't have anything white under them, so I wouldn't have noticed it like I did on the bath ones. I think that's prob. it.

Trish
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

LOL!

........added so message length was long enough. Guess the software designers don't believe in just chuckling at a joke. Or is that what it was <g>

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”