replace the tires?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

David and Susan Bratt

replace the tires?

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We bought a used 200l 24ft RB with l2000 miles on it. We are planning to travel about 3000 miles in May and June. Do we really need to replace the tires before this trip? The motorhome has always been stored indoors.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Trisha

Inspect the tires

Post by Trisha »

I would inspect the tires. Carefully. Look for cracking or other signs of decay on the sidewalls. Stored inside is one thing, but was it parked on concrete? That's not too good for tires. How often was it moved? If it was parked on a carpet piece or some other barrier to keep the tires up off the concrete, that's better.

Have a tire expert (a local tire store?) look at the tires and give you their opinion as to the condition of the tires. Look at the DOT code and find out how ld the tires themselves are. They were manufactured earlier than the rig, becuase those cutaway chassis have tires on them when delivered to the factory. There will be either a 4 number or 3 number code. It signifies the week and year of the tire manufacture.

Firestone has a website with some good information regarding the DOT codes.

There's not a whole lot any of us can tell you that you can't find out where you live.

Good luck and happy travels

PatTrish
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

If they are Firesones, I would really look at the inside of the duals. You may find they have bulges on them.

I found this when I instlled Borg extenders. The tires from the outside looked good and you couldn't really see the ripples till they were removed from the vehicle.

Don USN retired
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Convertable Toad
hrgermany

tire replacement

Post by hrgermany »

I was the lucky one to learn that the hard way last year.I looked at my tires and thought good for one more trip.Wel it lasted only 40 miles when I blew an inner rear tire.It distroyed my gray watertank and the rest of the plumbing.What a good news.
Hans Rueckert

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”