new owner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

fredcarole

new owner

Post by fredcarole »

How do you store your RV in the "off season?"
If outside, do you use full tarp, wheels only, other?
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We store ours under a metal awning with partial side protection. We also put on tire covers.
jerseypete

new owner

Post by jerseypete »

Hi Fredcarole,
Welcome. I am in Rio Grande, NJ. I store my BF27RB in the back of a storage place. I am fortunate to have a wooden fence on one side and and a 10x20 storage space on the other, so I get shelter. Plus I have solar panels tilted to the southern sun, which keeps my 4 coach batts charged all winter, with a three stage controller.
Fred, how about telling us about your coach? Have you and Carole had other coaches?
Good luck, and see ya down the road, jerseypete
Hawkeye111

Off Season Storage

Post by Hawkeye111 »

I purchased a premade cover from C Bell in Titusville Florida (a Leap'n Lions Member). He had purchased it but didn't use so I bought it. Just finished the first Iowa winter and I am very happy with the results of the use. It was built for a 24 foot RV and it draped far enough down to cover the wheels entirely. Probably though the most damaging weather in Iowas is the sun; Yet I don't think I will use it this summer as we are on the road so often that the nuisance of putting it on and taking it off will stop the interim use of the cover. Would like to find inside storage but no luck yet.
J
John S.

Post by John S. »

Might not be what you can set up but I put mine in a garage I built to store my motorhomes. I use it in the winter this way if it is not actually snowing or going to snow. I have dashed home a few times ahead of the snow. In fact the last big snow we had I was in Richmond and ran home the day a head of the 48 inches that fell. But to answer your question a building in the areas that freeze extends the time you can use the coach.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Fred/Carole

Our 22BFT we stored outside. After 2 1/2 yrs of Northern California sunshine and 100+ heat, the fiberglas chalked. We now store our 24RB inside, being fortunate enough to have a large indoor RV storage facility in town that is not that expensive. We park it, turn off the batteries and it is ready for us whenever we need it. I do take it out once a month in the "off" season, check batteries, tires, etc and drive it for approximately 45 minutes. So far, so good.

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Steve,

Just curious. What do you pay per month for the storage unit? I own a storage facility in East Tennessee and just finished building a building for RV/Boats. I'm charging $125 for 12x30 units and $150 for 14x40. This is for a 6 month comittment. Month by month, both are $25 more per month. I'm probably cheaper than CA rates.

Bill
whemme

Post by whemme »

I am probably lucky to have this storage space for my Born Free especially at this price. I was able to rent an unused corner of a completely enclosed metal aircraft hangar at our local municipal airport for only $25/month and it also includes enough space to store our toad at the same time.

For those in smaller communities that are finding it hard to obtain enclosed storage for their Born Free at a reasonable price may be able to find it at their local airport.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Bill D

We are on a 12 month contract, where we pay $105.00 per month, the last two months free = resulting in a net monthly cost of $87.50. This was a promotional offer and I do not know if it is still in effect It is a large metal building with excellent security, available air compressor and wash rack if we wish to use it. They offer a number of services such as charging batteries, inflating tires, rv washing, and having the rv out of the garage and waiting for the owner's arrival at the facility. There are a number of large Class A's stored in the building and I do not know if they are on the same rate schedule.

Hope this helps.

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

It's $6.00 per ft. here in San Jose, CA for indoor secure storage. First month free....
John S.

Post by John S. »

I built a garage and store it in there. I have a local fairgrounds that rents covered storage for 30 bucks a month too. I would put it under cover if you can.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”