Battery Drain Problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wtfwit8

Battery Drain Problem

Post by wtfwit8 »

I purchased a 07 24RB from Humboldt in October. During the winter I noticed that the chassis battery would not start the vehicle after not being started for a couple weeks. Had the battery replaced but the new battery could not start the vehicle after a couple of weeks either.

Now that the weather is nicer and I'm using the RV more often I've noticed that after driving the RV, It will restart fine after sitting for 2 days. After sitting the 3rd day the battery is dead. I make sure that everything is turned off before shutting the vehicle (E-450, V-10) down. The only thing I've noticed that has power all the time is the dash power plug, but I always remove my GPS unit.

Any ideas what is draining my chassis battery ??

Thanks!!
jasper2222

AAA

Post by jasper2222 »

Not a good reply but I have AAA. I kind of like it. I had a dead battery on my truck a few weeks ago. Really did not find out why, but AAA did come out, jumped me off and did what I though was a pretty good analysis of my trucks electrical system. Disconneted a couple things, phone charger etc. and you could right away tell the amperage drop. I have my own electrical gauges but really don't know how to check for amerage draw.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom,

Assuming that your chassis battery is not defective and causing its own self drain discharge, here is what you can do to track this battery drain problem down.

Connect a multi-range test meter in series with the positive cable going to your chassis battery + terminal. With everything in the cab turned off, if something is draining your battery you should see a current flow in the order of 1.0 amperes if it is taking 3 days to discharge the battery. With the meter in the circuit, start pulling fuses from the fuse panel one fuse at a time until you find the fuse circuit that is causing the drain and then you have your cause. Fix whatever is wrong in that circuit. It could be your cab radio, it could be a stuck relay, etc.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Tonyg

Post by Tonyg »

I had a similar problem. Finally realized that the rear view camera was not always turning off when I shifted from reverse to park. Didn't notice it at night when everything behind the rv was dark. Since then I have had the camera power wired to the ignition so it is not on when the ignition is off.

Tony

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”