Converting Cabover Entertainment to Sleeper

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jeleuen

Converting Cabover Entertainment to Sleeper

Post by jeleuen »

Putting this topic out there to see what you think. We have a 2002 26' with the rear side bed. Just finished our longest stay and trip. The back bed too small for wife and self, but OK for her. The sofa OK but not the greatest. I'm 6' and ahem.....210. Pretty tight quarters with the 70lb shepard dog. Anyway, the cabover entertainment seems a waste of space. Thinking about going back to factory to have it converted to a sleeper. Cost about $3000.
That way the sofa won't be folded down at night and the cabover foam mattress should be more comfortable. Getting up and down at 70 yrs should be OK I think. Any of you folks sleep up there and how has it worked?? Look forward to your comments. Thanks. John
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

We have a 2002 26 ft RB. I'm 6 ft and weigh about 170#. I sleep in the cabover section when our grandaughter travels with us. Normally my wife and I sleep on the sofa. I find sleeping in the cabover to be no problem except the foam mattress is extremely firm for me. I imagine some people might like that. I don't, but suffer in silence to have the pleasure of our grandaughter's company. The 2002 overbed height is higher than the newer units and when I tried them at the Clermont sales office I felt really claustrophobic. I'm almost your age and have no problem getting up and down the ladder but that really depends upon an individual's physical condition.
karls

Post by karls »

For the first couple years we both slept in the overhead section of our 1998 24RB. But calls of nature required precarious contortions and possible dives, so now I (73 yrs) sleep below and the spousal unit upstairs.

I'm 6' and find the sofa bed very comfortable and quick (one minute) to make up.

You might try to find a solution to the discomfort of the sofa bed before parting with 3 grand.

On the other hand, the upstairs sleeping area is also comfortable and has fewer drawbacks when just one person is sleeping there.
Tonyg

Post by Tonyg »

We had a 26' that had 2 incline beds. One instead of the side bed with room for a night stand next to it. The other replaced the couch. I thought these were more comfortable and made the rear of the rv more open. Just a thought.

Tony
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

jeleuen

I appears to me that the 70 pounds dog is cluttering your way to the bathroom. I used a 1/2" plywood board on the driver and passenger seats (shaped accordingly) and a 4" foam mattress with the same shape and a blanket. "Go to your bed" command clears the way to the bathroom.

To make the board horizontal I used supports made of insulation foam.

Worked like I charm for with my 60 pounds viszla.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

We had the entertainment center converted to the bed as part of the deal when we bought our RSB. Wanted the extra sleeping space for when the grandkids joined us.

We found the rear bed to be a little small for both of us, so I sleep up top in the "Eagles nest" while my wife has the luxury of the bed. The dogs have the couch, so that's out of the question.

When the grandkids come along, they get the rear bed, the dogs share the couch with the wife, and I'm up top. Works out pretty well for us.

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”