Where do you place a navigation computer?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rhively

Where do you place a navigation computer?

Post by rhively »

I received a new laptop computer with navigation software for Christmas. I know there must be several members out there with a similar setup. Where do you set it when driving your Born Free? Many thanks ahead-of-time for your input.
Linda Giuliani

Navigation computer

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We experimented with a couple of not very satisfactory options before I convinced my husband to spend $291 to purchase a Jotto Desk. (Go to www.jottodesk.com) It is a mobile office desk that our laptop is secured to the top of. Pole mounted, bolted to the floor, VERY stable, with an extra swing arm extension that allows me to swivel the computer between the front seats and type and run the navigation program, see the screen, do all I need to do. (Previously the laptop had to sit on my lap - not comfortable!)

We installed it on the driver's side at the outer edge of the space behind the driver's seat and our sofa. I can easily swivel the unit out of the way when one of us leaves the cab area.

When we are camped, the unit is positioned so that you can use the computer by sitting on the sofa. Now our table can be used for eatng meals. The computer stays safely secured to the desk so we no longer are concerned about tripping on wires or knocking it around.

This was an expensive little addition, but I consider it the best addition we have made to our coach. I'm sure you could build something that would work as well.

We purchased item No. 425-5214 computer mount, floor flat, rv model, cable-dock desktop and Item No. 425-5171 Swing Arm Etension w/Male and Female Ends. Before ordering we called them and discussed our application to make sure we were ordering the correct items.

We had contacted Born Free but they didn't have a viable suggestion for us.
The only downside to this was the expense, but it is a quality product and if/when we trade this coach we will take it with us.

Good luck!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

RAM Mounts makes more cost effective custom vehicle laptop mounts. They make both drill and no-drill models. Those specifically for 1995 and newer Ford Econoline vans can be found at: http://www.expressmounts.com/ford/e-ser ... ehicle.htm
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

This is a dumb question, but how do you mount these to the carpeted floor? They are a great idea!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

According to the description found at http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ram-m ... 19-sw1.htm for the Ford Econoline Van Dual Arm Laptop Vehicle Mount:
"The RAM-VB-119-SW1 No Drill Seat Rail Base with Double 6'' Swing Arms and RAM Tough Laptop Tray has been specifically design to connect to the:

• Ford Econoline Van -E Series- (1995-Newer)

The base attaches directly to the existing bolts connecting the passengers seat to the vehicle floor.

The plate is positioned to maximize the passengers leg space while also creating a foundation for the RAM double swing arm with telescoping pole mount and laptop tray (included).
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

That makes sense. Thank you! I sure would love to get the laptop off of my lap.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Do both the Express Mount and Jotto Desk swing behind the driver's seat when not being used?

We have the two lounge chairs behind the driver's seat. Does that present a problem for either of these computer "desks"?
Barbara & Ken
Linda Giuliani

Ford Mount

Post by Linda Giuliani »

The Ford mount looks interesting. At first glance it doesn't appear to have the telescoping range that ours does. Our basic arm length is 13/3/8 inch and we purchased an extension arm to give us an additional 13 3/8 inch range. The Jotto Desk mount is sturdy enough to support this when floor mounted - we drilled through the carpet and attached it with wooden deck screws. I don't believe that the seat attached mount would have allowed us the range of motion we currently have. And anything short of our 26" + extension would not allow me to swivel the unit forward enough to see and use the computer while sitting in the front seats, then swivel the computer completely back, out of the way nestled up against the back of the driver's seat.

We spent some time measuring and "playing" inside the cab and talking with representatives before we ended up with the combination we selected.

Anything you install will be a big improvement on the lap holding! For one thing, it's better for the laptop to have ventilation and it certainly didn't when sitting on my lap! Plus, it's nice to know it is secured and can't become a projectile in the coach.
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Barbara and Ken, if our swivel chairs were beind the driver's seat, we would have installed the Jotto behind the passenger seat so it would have nestled up over the sofa. That would still have worked fine for swiveling forward for the passenger or driver to use the computer. Our goal was to simplify our situation and to not create additional complications when moving or adjusting seats, so we would not have mounted it next to the swivel chairs.

Hope that helps!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

For the RAM Mount, it appears that you can just keep adding the 6" straight extensions until you get the swing away capability you need/desire. These extensions can be found at: http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ram-m ... b109-3.htm

I like the fact that you don't have to do any drilling with this system. Also, it seems to be infinitely customizable with readily available parts - a plus.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Linda Giuliani wrote:Barbara and Ken, if our swivel chairs were beind the driver's seat, we would have installed the Jotto behind the passenger seat so it would have nestled up over the sofa. That would still have worked fine for swiveling forward for the passenger or driver to use the computer. Our goal was to simplify our situation and to not create additional complications when moving or adjusting seats, so we would not have mounted it next to the swivel chairs. Hope that helps!
Thanks, Linda.

The sofa also is our bed. Would the Jotto Desk present a problem? Or is it simply swung back between the driver and passenger seats? A possible problem is restricted access to the C/O entertainment and front side cabinets (over the driver and passenger seats). Would the Desk have to be swung back and forth for access to the different areas?
Barbara & Ken
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Linda and Barb & Bill:

Do you have photos of your "desks" that you can share? That might be helpful for those of us who are "mechanically challenged"? :?
Barbara & Ken
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I will have an opportunity to do some photos on Saturday.
I think you could simply rotate the computer arm out of the way to get access to anything you deired. We don't sleep on our sofa, but we installed the Jotto base so it wouldn't interfere with the bed in case we needed to open it out and use it.

I'll upload some photos Saturday.

Linda
BornFree_n_Now

RAM Mount Installed Picture?

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Does anyone have a picture of the subject mount installed in a BF coach?
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

RAM Mount Installed Picture?

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Excellent!

I was just about to ask for photos too.

We've been setting the laptop on the lounge chair behind the copilot while we're considering mounting options. In addition, we've been looking for a way to mount a 20" flat screen TV behind the drivers seat or between the seats in the cab. Linda's description sounds like it might be workable for both applications if we can adapt a VESA mount for the TV.

We use a fold-up table between the cab seats now for the TV. We like the position of the TV but the swing arm would be much more convenient.

Anxiously awaiting the photos.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”