Dogs and RVs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Peter Robinson

Dogs and RVs

Post by Peter Robinson »

We bought our BF from a couple who sold it because their dog was old and needed more room in the motorhome. We don't have a dog but everywhere we go and many posts I read here, like the recent posts about crowded sleeping space, mention dogs and the accomodations made for them. I looked and there are over 70 million dogs in the US and about as many cats and that's a bunch. The costs of keeping a dog or cat has been estimated from $300.-$1200. a year which is $84 Billion a year on the average so this is obviously something special but I have been on several group RV tours and rallies and so often RV owners say they can't leave or take their pet to do this or that to fully benefit from the trip activities or in some other way indicate not only their commitment to but also their captivity by their pet(s) needs. I have seen many expressions of joy toward pets and like them well enough but can't help but wonder how it is and why people end up seemingly crowded into an RV with pet(s) in a type of activity and time of life whose essence is freedom of movement and choice of activities. Why is this; what are the rest of us missing?
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Peter, you are absolutely correct in your observations. My wife and I have often discussed the limitation our dogs place upon us, but we come back to our decision to make our dogs a priority. It certainly is not for everyone, and we appreciate this fact. We try to be considerate of those who see it through a different lense. I sometimes find it frustrating the way our dogs control our lives as though we have small children again. But, we accept the limitations just as we accepted them when we did have small children. Our relationship with our dogs is, I think, a mystery. Just as we often see a married couple and quitely wonder what they see in one another, we cannot fully explain what we see and get out of having dogs as pets.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike and Dot Calderazzo

Dogs and RVs

Post by Mike and Dot Calderazzo »

I love most animals and particularly dogs, but I have decided that enjoying the lifestyles of RVing and Yachting leave little if any room for my pets. I feel that it is unfair to my pets to confine them to a very restricted volume and regimented schedule rather then allow them to roam the backyard and run at will.
This is strictly a subjective view and I'm sure some will not agree, however I do ask that many of you who travel with dogs consider your neighbors when you allow your dogs to bark and yelp incessantly in RV parks. Some leave their dogs confined to the RV while they are out exploring only to leave their neighbors with the burden of listening to the continual yelping and barking. Please be considerate of your pets and your neighbors by being a responsible pet owner who is also concerned with the welfare of your neighbors.
sutton

Post by sutton »

I bought my BornFree so that I could travel with my dogs ...

Where to start on why I have dogs? Their positive outlook no matter what..... How they always lift you up with their playfulness ... The joy that you get when they greet you.... I learn a lot from them.
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB
John S.

Post by John S. »

I bought my Bornfree so I too can take my pups with me. I have a large DP as well so they have a pretty good run to move. They are small inside dogs and sure I adjust my activities to be able to take care of them. I have hired dog walkers at some campgrounds too. IT is the unconditional love that they give you and the joy to see you. Not all breeds require lots of space or exercise. It is one of the reasons I have small dogs.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

We started RV'ing 15 years ago, so we could take the dogs with us also. The dogs have been all over the country with us. Yes, they do limit what we can do and where we can go. We also have to be aware of how long we leave them alone in the motorhome. But having them as companions all year long, makes up for those few times when we are inconvienced. They also force us to take walks and get exercise. All our dogs have been obedience trained and one was in agility. As far as we know, they do not bark while they are in the motorhome, unless someone knocks on the door, or gets too close. We have returned from outings and take them out, and people in the site next to us are suprised that there were dogs inside.

It is also expensive and inconvenient to board them in a kennel, and would you put these girls in a kennel;

Attachments
Heidi and Misty pointsetta small 12-09.jpg
Heidi and Misty pointsetta small 12-09.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 15375 times
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

One more comment. All our dogs were rescued by us. Either we picked them up off the street (4) or took them from owners who were likely to abandon them (2). Almost every day we see dogs on the street or chained in a yard that need human interaction and care. Of the 70 million dogs in the U. S. as reported earlier in this thread, I would venture a guess that a couple of million are running loose, or in shelters awaiting death because there are not enough people willing to adopt. Contributing to the problem is a public attitude that dogs are disposable. Refusal to have dogs (and cats) spayed and neutered makes things worse. There are "puppy mills" that are only out to make a buck. There are potential owners who will not adopt from a shelter -- either they want a designer dog that complements their clothing or looks good in their car or they want a "pure-bred" for some reason that makes little sense. By adopting six dogs my wife and I have made a small contribution to help man's best friend. We would do much more if we were able both physically and financially. Every time you see a dog running loose, or dead beside the road, think about what this says about our society that we are unwilling to take better care of the animals of this earth. My wife is presently trying to catch a dog running loose that has a collar caught under one leg that has not only hobbled her, but created a bleeding wound. Many of my wife's co-workers know of this dog, but none have stepped forward to help. What will we do when we catch this dog? We don't know. We will hope to find her a good home, but from past experience we probably will adopt her ourselves. Good homes are few and far between when so many dogs need them. Are we nuts? Bleeding hearts? Do we have our priorities out of order? I don't think so. We are trying to make things better for a few of God's creatures in our little corner of the world.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I wouldn't have it any other way. We don't have them long enough and every moment I spend with them brings joy to my heart. Both our labs are rescues and it might cramp us a little bit, but I know in a few years they will no longer be with us.

Some might think we are crazy but we bought our house in SC just for Katie. After being in FL and the restrictions where we lived I wanted to make the rest of her life happy. Yes she is on 4 acres, lake and pool to do whatever she wants. This is Katie's house and we are sharing it with her.

And they even have a golfcart......yes my labs are very spoiled.

and here is Katie (black) and Bailey (yellow) on his first camping trip.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Nice pictures of your happy labs. They are probably the happiest dogs ever.

I agree with the rescue concept. I belong to the Garden State German Shepherd Rescue group, and have helped many misplaced SHepherds find a forever home. My youngest one, Heidi, was going to be put to sleep because she was born without hip sockets. Her x-rays showed a real bad case of hip dysplasia. She had surgery on both her back legs and can run, jump and play like any other dog, although she is a little weak in the rear. She is now a therapy dog, visits nursing homes, kids read to her at the library, and she is used in schools to teach kids the proper way to approach a dog, and how to care for a pet.

We were recently in the local newspaper. This picture of the 70 pound lap dog and an article were written up;

Attachments
Heidi library small.jpg
Heidi library small.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 15270 times
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

We rally with an FMCA club of large brand X RV's. We have the smallest coach and the biggest dog....70 lb shepherd/shar pei mix and don't have any issues. We've crossed the country several times with kids and dogs. I'd rather take a dog on a long trip than a kid any day. My dogs never picked a fight in the back seat or whined that they needed junk food or got bored. I love my kids but I'll take a dog as a traveling companion any day.
SteveS

golf cart

Post by SteveS »

Nancy wrote: And they even have a golfcart......yes my labs are very spoiled.
Impressive ...... my dogs always want to try to drive.

Steve
Brent

Post by Brent »

I'm sorry, if someone is an adult and has to ask about the joy of pet ownership -- I don't think they would understand the answer.
Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hey All, I'm enjoying this thread but would like to see more photos of your bowsers! :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Here is a picture of our two papillons, Morpho and Shiloh. Obviously, they fit in a 24RB quite nicely. This picture is actually of the boys sitting amongst a bunch of spring beauties that grow in our lawn.
Attachments
Morpho and Shiloh in Spring Beauties for NEPAPS.jpg
Morpho and Shiloh in Spring Beauties for NEPAPS.jpg (145.84 KiB) Viewed 15065 times
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
BornFree_n_Now

Recently observed dog related commentary ~

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Possible means by which to cover some of your dog related travel expenses?

“This morning I went to sign my Dogs up for welfare.

http://img3.sellersourcebook.com/users/10602/dogs.jpg

At first the lady said, "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare". So I explained to her that my Dogs are mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and have no earthly clue who their Daddies are. They expect me to feed them, provide them with housing and medical care, and feel guilty because they are dogs.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify. My Dogs get their first checks Friday :>)â€
Attachments
KittyMauiBornFree(small).jpg
KittyMauiBornFree(small).jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”