brake fluid

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

brake fluid

Post by bill crommett »

Because my BFT is a 2004 I felt it was time to change all the fluids. The mechanics told me that because they could not find any Green brake fluid that they chose not to mix anything else with the green stuff already in there. And nowhere could they find any access to green brake fluid. Has anyone got a clue where Ford got the green brake fluid ?
liginbf

Brake Fluid

Post by liginbf »

Bill, I think I would find another repair shop. If they have the correct equip. to do a brake flush there should be no mixing of fluid, check your manual. I think its DOT 3 fluid. Your color may just be old fluid .
hindeb

Post by hindeb »

I googled "Green Brake Fluid" and was surprised at the number of hits that came back. This is not an uncommon problem and there are a lot of possible causes that range from algae in the water that has been absorbed to copper that has leached out of the brake components. One thing all of the sites agreed on was that this is not normal or good and the fluid needs to be changed. Glycol based brake fluids (DOT 3, 4, 5.1) are hygroscopic and will absorb water from the surrounding environment. Silicone based fluids (DOT 5) will not mix with water (hydrophobic). DOT 5 fluid can NOT be mixed with 3 or 4 and is not compatible with anti-lock systems. There are colored brake fluids (Castrol has a blue product), but most are clear or a very light amber. Brake fluid will darken with age and should be replaced if is very dark (or green!)
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
bill crommett

Brake fluid

Post by bill crommett »

Bruce: Thank you so much for your research. I am taking your report to the shop within the hour.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Not to be an alarmist, but if in fact the brake fluid is green in a 6 year old vechicle due to water absorption, I, for one, would be questioning the viabilty of the brake calipers as well. Water in a brake system, I have found, leads to pitting in the brake cylinders, if a drum brake and in the brake calipers if a disc which, over time, will lead to brake failure.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”