Please don't laugh at, or razz me for my question...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

INVERTER

Post by whemme »

Barbara & Ken,

I think the various +12 VDC cigarette lighter power sockets provided in the Born Free at various locations are fused in the power panel via a single 10 or 15 amp fuse. Since you have a 24' RB unit, there should be a +12 VDC power socket on the wall directly forward of your refrigerator. You could use a 300 watt inverter such as mine as a portable unit plugged into that location and then your crock pot plugged into that inverter. Just make sure that your crock pot draws 125 watts or less. An if you have a DC powered TV or some other appliance running off another DC power socket, don't run it at the same time as the crock pot.

When not in use, this inverter is small enough that you can store it in one of the cabinents or drawers.

It is only when trying to run higher powered AC appliances that a permanently installed inverter directly wired to the coach batteries is necessary - and those permanent installations run into money. Such a system will work in a Born Free, but you can't use any of the existing coach wiring - new heavier wiring such as AWG #8 leads run directly to the coach's battery posts would be advised.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Very helpful info, Bill. Since we don't have a TV on that shelf, it would be a good spot to place a Crockpot. And we probably could set a small Crockpot inside a Dutch Oven or other container if there's a possibility of spills from tipping over. I've read on other RV Forums about folks putting their Crockpots inside the glley sink for just that reason. But there's no 12 Volt socket near our BF's galley sink.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions on this subject. Thanks. And thank you, Rick and Linda, for asking the original question.
Barbara & Ken
Mike Jean Bandfield

Alternate Suggestion

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I know its expensive. And I can't personally speak from experience. (We've never used crock pots.) However, over the years I have heard a few people praise the Nissan Thermal Cooker. It seems that those who have them are fanatical advocates.

You bring the stew to a roiling boil in the inner liner over the stove, then seal it in the thermal liner and at dinner time it is still 150 degrees, fully cooked and ready to serve - exactly like the crock pot but without the plug.

Considering the energy source issues RVers have and the inefficiencies of using a generator or battery to generate heat - for any purpose - this appears to me to be the best option available for a slow cooker in an RV.

From Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001U ... e&n=284507

Anyone here have 1st hand experience?

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Learned about the Nissan Thermal Cooker a couple of years ago, and immediately tried to purchase one. Orginally, there were two sizes, and we wanted the smaller size. Unfortunately, it has not been available for . . . you guessed it . . . a couple of years. The 4.5 qt. size just seems too large for us. Oh well, guess we'll have to cook our soups on the stove top or in a small Crockpot.
Barbara & Ken
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I have the Nissan "powerless" crock pot. I like it so much I'm even using it in the house. I ended up with the larger unit since I couldn't locate the smaller size, but the extra quantity of food allows us to have about three meals - two to eat fresh and one to freeze. It was expensive to purchase but the concept is perfect for using less power.

We rarely eat out and I cook everything from scratch (health and diet restrictions) so anything I can do to keep the food tasty but EASY is enough justification for the price of the cooker. Still, all things considered, it is a bit of a luxury. But then, so is our Born Free!
Rick and Linda

Post by Rick and Linda »

...so is our Born Free!
<smiling.> We are blessed, aren't we!
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Linda Giuliani wrote:I have the Nissan "powerless" crock pot. I like it so much I'm even using it in the house. I ended up with the larger unit since I couldn't locate the smaller size, but the extra quantity of food allows us to have about three meals - two to eat fresh and one to freeze. It was expensive to purchase but the concept is perfect for using less power.

We rarely eat out and I cook everything from scratch (health and diet restrictions) so anything I can do to keep the food tasty but EASY is enough justification for the price of the cooker. Still, all things considered, it is a bit of a luxury. But then, so is our Born Free!

Thanks so much for sharing your personal experience with this product. We try to prepare all our meals for health reasons, too. (Growing old is not for sissies!!) Still think the larger size might be too much for us. However, what's the largest cut of meat/poultry that will fit into your Thermal Cooker?

Hey, the Born Free isn't a luxury. It's an escape necessity!! :D
Barbara & Ken
Mike Jean Bandfield

Nissan "powerless" crock pot

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Where else can a person take a topic and discuss it to the ultimate definitive resolution? :) I'm surprised to find that I have had more thoughts on this matter that I am compelled to foist upon you all:
Linda Giuliani wrote:I have the Nissan "powerless" crock pot.
Linda, have you ever tried just filling it up to a quarter or half full - a simple solution at 1st glance. However, besides the more negative ROI, a quarter full pot might not work. Anything in the manual warning against this?

The reason I ask is I suspect we may have tripped over a limitation of the smaller powerless crockpot - thermal inertia (The tendency of an object to maintain its instantaneous temperature, even in the presence of an external temperature difference. Objects with large thermal inertia tend to heat up or cool down slowly.) and it's reciprocal - thermal response. It is quite possible the 1.5 qt size unit was removed from the market because it wouldn't stay hot from breakfast to supper as easily as the larger unit.

:idea: A really high quality, glass lined, quart sized thermos might be more efficient than the stainless steel unit and do the job at a cheaper price. However, that would require a separate dirty pan (which takes all the joy out of it for me).

Mike

PS. There should be an internet law that forces engineers to have their own forums. :)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

The answer to the question about the size of the piece of meat that will fit in the pot is "I don't know!" I've only prepared soups with lots of liquids since our eating style is "one dish" unless Greg is grilling outside.

The instructions say to fill the pot up to about 1 inch from the top to maximize the time that the unit can safely keep foods hot. I just measured the inside of the inner pot and found it is 7" across and 6 1/2 inches high (then subtract 1", so the usable height is 5 1/2") From those measurements you can probably figure what size hunk of meat would fit.

One of the recipes that came with the instructions was for poached chicken and that called for a 4 pound bird. They cooked that for 3 hours.

The instructions say:
"Liquid foods, such as soup or spaghetti sauce, can safely maintain hot temperatures longer than solid foods, such as macaroni and cheese, stew or rice. Solid foods should not be held for more than 4 hours. Liquid foods stay hot for up to 8 hours. "

I'm sure, as Mike has suggested, that the smaller pot didn't have the volume required to keep temperatures high enough for safety!

Yes, we are a fortunate bunch of folks. The Born Free may not be a "luxury" but it is a luxurious way to travel! When I first saw the interior of an "elegance" package with leather and hardwood floors and solid cabinetry I thought "this is CAMPING?!!" :shock:

P.S. Engineers need to keep posting here! Keeps the rest of us informed and thinking, if not confused! :lol:
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Linda Giuliani wrote:Yes, we are a fortunate bunch of folks. The Born Free may not be a "luxury" but it is a luxurious way to travel! When I first saw the interior of an "elegance" package with leather and hardwood floors and solid cabinetry I thought "this is CAMPING?!!" :shock:

P.S. Engineers need to keep posting here! Keeps the rest of us informed and thinking, if not confused! :lol:

Linda, thanks for the words of wisdom . . . and experience . . . about the Thermal Cooker.

I am NOT a camper . . . and never will be. So, our Born Free is perfect for wimps like me.

The engineers' postings have too many moving parts for me to understand. Unless it's explained in Blonde Speak, I don't get it. :?

Barbara
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”