Rust Under RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim & Lana

Rust Under RV

Post by Jim & Lana »

We have LOTS of rust UNDER our 1996 BF. It spent most of its life on the coast of Michigan before we bought it in 2007. Is this something to be concerned about? Is there something we should do to remove it? We've had a flange on the generator exhaust rust out which needed repairing. Are we in for more headaches?
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

I also found many areas of rust under our BF. We live on the west coast but picked up the RV from Iowa. I figured that the rust was related to it being driven where they use salt on the roads during winters back there.

What I did was spend time cleaning the rusted areas and bolt heads. Then I sprayed "Rustoleum for heavy rust" on each spot. Even going as far as multiple coats on each rust spot. After proper cure time, I then sprayed the "truck bed" rubberized liner spray over those places that get a lot of road gravel and debry. One example is the front of our Propane Tank . It had significant dents, chipped paint and subsequent rust spots due to road debry. It is now protected for future trips.

In short, I completely agree that any prevention we can do to stop the rust spots and protect our investment is the right choice.

I also would like to hear from others if they have spent any time checking the underside of their BF and what they have done about rust.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Rob

Post by Rob »

Alan,
Excellent advice. Where do you purchase the bedliner stuff? Is it a spray can? I would do the same as your suggestions. On my next trip to Arizona where the BF is I will do some checking under the coach.

Rob
2003 24RB
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Rob, yes, the bedliner came in a spray can. I picked it up at Home Depot, on the same aisle as the Rustoleum for Heavy Rust.

Another piece of advice is to clean and protect the battery posts for both the coach batteries and the engine battery. They sell a foaming cleaner for the battery posts and connectors. Once you clean and reinstall the battery cables, spray a coating of a "battery post protecting" spray. It stops all corrosion before anything can start.

Here are the products found at a lot of Auto Supply stores (by Permatex)

Cleaner:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... aner_a.htm

Protector & Sealer:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... Sealer.htm
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I've never had good results using this sealer. The stuff is sticky, attracts dirt and it's all over me and my clothes whenever I get under the hood.

I have had very good results using the red and green felt 'washers' over the terminals on all of my batteries. They seem to last for at least 2 or 3 years and aren't messy. They're available in most automotive departments for about a buck a set.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Jim & Lana

Rust Under RV

Post by Jim & Lana »

There is much too much rust under our old 1996 BF to scrape it off as you suggested so guess we'll just have to live with it until something falls off!
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Jim, I sure do understand. I did spend a singificant amount of time under the RV and even had some folks tell me that "I now probably know more about the underside of my coach than others". I drove the RV up on blocks and used a garage creeper to make movement more comfortable.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”