Valve extension and balance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bornie

Valve extension and balance

Post by Bornie »

Hi there,
how do you deal with balancing the wheels, if you consider valve extensions?

Is it possible to fit them on during the balancing process, that they are included in the weight of the tire? (Maybe they are flying off)

Or does the weight of the extensions not affect the balance of the wheel?

Cheers
Bornie
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bornie,

I assume you are referring to the stainless steel flexible extensions that your Born Free E350 or E450 based motorcoach came equipped with as standard equipment. If the extension that is connected to the inside dual is mounted opposite from the one connected to the outside dual, then the weights of the two extensions basically will cancel each other in the balancing of the dual wheels and tires.

So they can be left off during the balancing of each individual wheel and tire and installed back on the wheels when the duals are re-installed on the coach with no noticeable effect on wheel balance.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bornie

Post by Bornie »

whemme wrote:Bornie,

I assume you are referring to the stainless steel flexible extensions that your Born Free E350 or E450 based motorcoach came equipped with as standard equipment. If the extension that is connected to the inside dual is mounted opposite from the one connected to the outside dual, then the weights of the two extensions basically will cancel each other in the balancing of the dual wheels and tires.

So they can be left off during the balancing of each individual wheel and tire and installed back on the wheels when the duals are re-installed on the coach with no noticeable effect on wheel balance.
Hi Bill,
problem is, I don't have any extensions installed, but I would like to, because you might know the hassle involved inflating or checking without them
The former owner had straight steel stems installed.
I was thinking installing the ones from Borg, where the inner one is extended and ends in a rubber grommet in the outer rimhole and the outer one gets an extension about 150 degr. turned outward.
Is this a good idea?
In regards to the balancing you are right, they could cancel each other out, if they have the same weight and opposite location even though both would be at one side of the respective wheel.
I am not sure if this creates an imbalance or not.
Maybe this out of center montage does not create an imbalance considering the weight of the whole wheel.
Any thoughts to that?

Cheers
Bornie
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bornie,

It certainly is a good idea. I would recommend that you install the custom made metal valve stems from either Borg Tire Supply or the Tire Man. Both sources are listed in our Other Vendors section on this website's forum.

As others and myself included have discovered, those flexible valve stem extensions when connected to the OEM rubber valve stems cause the rubber stems to be deflected back and forth slightly as the wheels rotate under normal driving speeds. This causes the rubber stems to eventually develop a crack in the rubber near the hole in the wheel rim and a subsequent slow air leak. I suffered two rubber valve stem failures on the rear wheels before I finally got smart and installed a set of those metal stems.

All metal valve stems cure this problem and also solve the wheel balance question since they are installed when the wheel is balanced.

One minor problem that these metal valves stems cause is that you can no longer rotate your tires front to back unless you also go to the the extra work and expense of moving the stems from rim to rim. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to include the 4 rear tires in any tire rotation. Just rotating the front two tires from side to side is adequate. As I have stated before, the twin I-beam front suspension on the E350 and E450 chassis is prone to causing cupping of the inside edges of the front tires if you don't keep the front end in good alignment and those front two tires in good balance. From my experience, I would recommend front end alignment, rotation and balancing the front two tires at least every 10,000 miles to prevent tire cupping.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bornie

Post by Bornie »

Hi Bill,
thanks for your answer.
I looked up both sites still have a question. :?
Are those extensions mounted onto the existing valve stem?

Or do you have to take the tire off the rim and install into the rim?

Cheers
Bornie
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bornie,

The Borge and Tire Man products are not extensions, they are complete metal valves stems that will replace both the existing short rubber valve stems and the flexible braided metal valve stem extensions. With this custom valve stems installed, you will have easy access to check and/or to add air to either of rear dual tires.

In order to install them, the bead of the tire on the one side near the hole in the rim will have to be broken. In that area of the rim, the tire bead will have to be pushed in far enough to gain access to the rear side of that hole. It should not be necessary to completely remove the tire from the rim.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bornie

Post by Bornie »

Hi Bill,
now I understand. . .
Thanks a lot.

Then you really have to be very careful during the balancing process not to bend or brake off the long inner stems. Hhmm, looks like some heavy work. :shock:

Cheers
Bornie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”