What happened to the tables?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

What happened to the tables?

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I've read with interest the discussions regarding replacing the captain's chairs and table with a bed or another alternative. Did I miss something?
Where do you eat without a table? Are you not swapping what you would term good sleeping arrangements for lousy eating arrangements? Our lifestyle in the BF means we want a table and chairs or a dinette to eat our meals.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

We have the original swing out and bed frame corner mounted swivel arm table in our 2005 BFT with two twin beds and love the table in spite of it's wanderings, squeaks, and potential for breakage if leaned upon. You can adjust it to different angles and sit facing the windows on the twins with back bolsters or even sofa beds with plenty of tummy and leg room, one person on each side. I would not buy a BF without this swing out table or a pocket table and a pocket table is just not possible in the 22 BFT or other twin beds model. I understand the company had trouble with the strength of the undertable mounting and smallish bearing there and therefore dropped the table instead of redesigning the structure of a very useful table. A fix for wobbly tables is posted in "modifications" I believe or somewhere on the site but I hope BF will be encouraged to make this swing out table available again on the BFT and other twin beds models. There is no way setting up a removable post and top fixed table or pedestal table every day and then disassembling it to store it away is any where near as convienient and flexible as the swing out swivel table and either one of this other current type permanently blocks the aisle when set up. The original swing table can be swung out of the way to pass by. swung and swiveled to between the front seats, or swung into storage all set up behind the drivers seat. I can even sleep with my feet beneath it and don't even have to swing it into the aisle at night although size 12 feet is about the limit. The wonderful true 2009-2010 BFT or twins 24 foot with the new Ford dash and new BF coach body design and storage is a great great new offering but without the swing out table it's just not what it could be. "We want our swing out tables, Born Free". Can you hear us yet?
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Mon May 31, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I agree with Pete Robinson about the table. We use it a lot and we found it very versatile even with the wobble. After I modified it to remove the wobble it is a steady platform and has made our time in the coach much easier. It's been two seasons since I modified ours and it is still rock solid. I have written up the modifications to take out the wobble and improve it in two other ways also and they are posted in the modifications section. I'll be glad to answer any questions from someone interested in the modification via PM.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Having owned a BFT with the swing-out table, I agree with Dave that the swing-out table has many advantages, especially as to accesibility. That said, we now have a 24RB with the twin inclining beds and the pedestal table. We did initially miss the swing out table, but have become quite fond of the pedestal table, even though we have to disassemble when we move and assemble it when we set up. The process takes less than 30 seconds and the unit rides very comfortably behind the drivers seat. At night, we slide it forward between the driver and passenger seats and then have a "night stand" table for both beds. What could be better?
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

We eliminated their tables and had them construct one that we thought would work. It's a standard table that has two hinged panels and mounted on two posts. The panels fold down (verticle) when not in use. Just raise them up until the spring loaded hinges lock in place and then you have a substantial table. The remaining width of the table when both sides are lowered is about 9". It's a little tight when moving from front to back of the BFT, but what's life without a few concessions? We have the two twin beds and this has worked for us since Mar '07.
It's at the storage location right now or I'd take some pictures and attach them.
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

I saw my husband's post and remembered that we did have pics on a disk.
Image[/img]

Image[/img]
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

You might want to consider a Lagun table support. The unit is made in Sweden and meant for boating.

Here's a link:

http://svhotwire.com/info/?tag=lagun-table

I purchased one for my pickup camper from the following site:

http://www.cascadedepot.com/servlet/the ... zed/Detail

Although advertised as a "Lagun" it turned out to be a Chinese knock-off.
Even so, it's quite well made, except for the plastic sleeves at the swing arm pivot points. One broke after only a 10 mile test drive. I made replacements from a couple copper pipe couplings.

I'm new to Born Free. Just purchased a 2005 24RB two weeks ago. I just got back to Minneapolis from Georgia where I purchased it. I'm lovin' it EXCEPT for the harsh ride.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Tom, thanks for the info and link on the Lagun table.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bill crommett

table

Post by bill crommett »

Because of several physical limitations, the swing-out table prevented the drivers seat from tilting back far enough to suit me so I removed the table (but left the tube attachment ) and replaced it with a larger table and stanchion from the local Marina. It is not as convenient to set up as was the swing-out, but for a quick lunch at a rest stop we find that a couple of plastic Turkey platters are plenty big enough for a sandwich plate and a drink.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We too removed the pull out table when we installed the incline bed. We now have a portable table we got from Born Free. The stand and tripod legs remove and are stored unter the bed. Tom rigged a strap to secure the table top behind the drivers seat - as we don't need the seat all the way back when we drive, it has worked out well to store the table out of the way.
Attachments
P6230080.JPG
P6230080.JPG (50.53 KiB) Viewed 13695 times
P6230081.JPG
P6230081.JPG (37.91 KiB) Viewed 13695 times
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
charlesbell

Table removal etc.

Post by charlesbell »

In my previous BF coach, a 2006 BFT, I never could adjust to sleeping on the sofa. I found that a 3/4 mattress was a perfect fit to go on top of the opened sofa. This size mattress may not be available at your mattress or furniture store, however, they should be able to order. If not, I can put anyone interested in touch with a supplier of the 3/4 mattress.
In my current BF coach, a 2010 RSK, I deleted the second chair (by the pull up table) to allow for a folding bicycle conveniently by the door.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”