BF Mods

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bbwolf

BF Mods

Post by bbwolf »

Sam, you mentioned you'd like to see some of the mod's folks have done recently. Thought I'd try to start the section and see what interesting additions people have made.

I just added a cellular antenna and amplifier to the mini. I placed the Trucker/RV antenna on top of the roof running the cable to the front storage above the driver. Then, when I'm not driving and using the antenna with the cell phone, I place it next to the Wifi USB Cell stick, connected to my CradlePoint Wifi router, and I have Wifi throughout the coach. As long as I can get cell signal, I can have Wifi.

Remember the engineering motto that my friends and I use with our spouses; "We dont do it because we have to, we do it because we can!".
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

A mod just installed in our 2005 BFT is a Logjam Electronics MP3 (I Pod) connector. It delivers power to the I Pod so charges it as well and you have control from the radio/CD or the I Pod. Radio and CD player still useful. Tech support available by phone. About $150. including the easy half hour install I farmed out. A picture of this device is shown in bcope01's recent post "MP3 hookup on a BF". It works great and now we have music or downloaded audio books anytime we want for our upcoming Alaska trip. Thanks bcope01.
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Peter, you are most welcome! :D
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Has anyone found the need to upgrade the mudflaps to help protect against gravel or road debry?

I saw one post talking about how a rear blowout took out the Black and Grey water connections and wondered if different mudflaps could have protected them better.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I've heard stories about the rear blowouts causing trouble (not on born free's) but I doubt mud flaps would really help. Better to keep a very solid eye on your tires, including proper inflation and check them for overheating.

Mud flaps or no, the biggest problems I've encountered with flying debris is usually caused by other vehicles int he vicinity throwing things up. Many cars have no flaps at all, and I think they should. A Honda (civic) tossed a rock that cracked my window. Another time it was a Semi passing. Also had damage to fiberglass.

I would say, just pay proper attention to your tires. I usually always walk around when I stop and feel them, if any of them feel much warmer/hotter than the others, I give it due attention once things cool down (like check pressure). You can get a gun that you aim at the tires to tell their temp or use tire pressure monitor systems...because most failures are preceeded by heating. I believe this would be your better investment.
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thank you Trisha. Very good advice! Much appreciated.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
bill crommett

tires

Post by bill crommett »

I carry a little infra-red temp. gauge that I got at radio shack. Works great !
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

I just wanted to follow up on the Cellphone antenna, amplifier mod installed in our BF mini.

Got the opportunity to test it out yesterday in a remote location where cell phone coverage is always lost. The Wilson Trucker antenna installed on the rear top of the BF, connected to the amplifier located in the overhead storage bin, then the internal antenna sitting up front on the dash, worked like a charm. I had 5 bars of signal in almost all locations, and had 3 bars of signal in the previous "no signal" locations.

Also of note: The internal Wifi USB cell card connected to the Cradlepoint Wifi wireless access point worked perfectly also. The coach had secure wireless due to the strong cell phone signal of the cell antenna and amplifier.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Steve

Post by Steve »

Alan, we have the Wilson cell amp also and it works very well. What model Cradlepoint do you have? I would like to tether a unit to our Verizon cell phone using the Mobile office kit (USB cable and adapter).
Steve
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

The cradelpoint isPHS300 Personal WiFi Hotspot - 3G/4G

You can connect your cell phone to it via "tethering". Here is what it says:
"Connect with a Sprint USB Broadband Card or Tethered to a Sprint EVDO Device".

Here is a link to Cradelpoint.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/category-lis ... -workforce

Here are the supported Verizon devices:

Verizon
USB
Novatel MiFi 2200
Novatel USB720
Novatel USB727
Novatel USB760
Sierra Wireless 595U
UTStarcom UM150
UTStarcom UM175
UTStarcom UMW190

2ExpressCard
Kyocera KPC680
Novatel V740

Phones
Blackberry 8703e
Blackberry 8130
Blackberry 8330
Blackberry 8830
Blackberry 9530 (Storm)
LG VX7200
LG VX8000
LG VX8300
Motorola RAZR V3c
Palm 700p
Palm 700w
Verizon XV6800
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
jerseypete

BF mods

Post by jerseypete »

Just installed Hydr Pure Water System 6, with dual canisters. Made for a coach or a house. I decided I wanted to isolate the use to just pure drinking water at the kitchen sink, so I did.
Also, installed a Pro- Fill battery watering system that fills all 4 coach batteries at once without touching the caps.
Any one interested, let me know, and I will show photos.
Not for everyone, but works for me

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”