Tire Tread Separation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gwb36

Tire Tread Separation

Post by gwb36 »

2003 26RB not towing March 2010 southern Alabama
Cooper tire code 2207 installed Aug 2007 20000 miles on tire 60mph or so
Have always used Pressure Pro
I lost about 1/3 of the tread on the passenger inner tire.
Preceeded by vibration which started right at the start of the trip for 100 miles which I thought may have been from loss of wheel weights and more pressure than usual on airbags. Still had air but I limped a couple miles to a safe place where I had service mount my spare tire which I carry in the under-sofa storage on the rim. No damage to coach, just lots of shaking.
Lesson learned: I should have investigated the tire right away as it had never vibrated before.
Is there any other thing I should do before the trip or at rest stops like crawling on the ground to look at the tires?
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Seems Cooper Tire has some "splainin" to do.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Jon Pollei

Post by Jon Pollei »

I experienced the same thing with Goodyears but when I felt the bumping I stopped and found a large bubble in the tread. Driving on this will cause the tread separation. I lost 4 of the 6 Goodyears the same way by 12000 miles. My 2003 came with Goodyears from Ford after the Firestone problems. I replaced them with Michelin XPS Rib and solved the problems. Goodyear prorated on every replacement but wouldn't allow anything to upgrade to a better tire. I will never buy another badyear tire.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”