Motorcycle carrier

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Motorcycle carrier

Post by tomzleapin »

I'm researching adding a carrier for a motorcycle. Most of the companies that make units for heavier bikes recommend not attaching them to Class C coaches. I have a BMW K75 that weighs 520 lbs. but will probably purchase something lighter if this turns out to be too much weight.

Thanks
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
lonvanostran

Re: Motorcycle carrier

Post by lonvanostran »

tomzleapin wrote:I'm researching adding a carrier for a motorcycle. Most of the companies that make units for heavier bikes recommend not attaching them to Class C coaches. I have a BMW K75 that weighs 520 lbs. but will probably purchase something lighter if this turns out to be too much weight.

Thanks
Your best bet for taking that bike along is to carry it in the bed of a small truck like the Chevy Colorado, which is equipped with a good tow brake system. Very few motorhomes, short of a diesel pusher, can handle that much weight in addition to the weight of a motorcycle carrier. The long overhang of the C and Gas A motorhomes will unload the front axle to the point where it's not safe.

When we bought our Born Free, the first thing I did was remove the spare tire and carrier. IMHO, it unloaded the front axle way too much for my comfort. I carry a small compressor and Coach Net.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom,

Your 2005 24RB coach is equipped with a Dana 80 series rear axle limited to a weight rating of 9450 lbs. My 2002 26' RSB coach weights were checked on a scale with full LP tank, fresh water tank full, 55 gallon fuel tank full in down the road traveling condition and my rear axle weight was 9220 lbs, just 230 lbs under the limit. The weight on the rear axle of your 24' unit will probably be less but not near enough less that you could carry a motorcycle with a rear carrier. Doing that will greatly exceed the rear axle weight rating and also unload the front axle enough to potentially cause unstable handling.

Put the the motorcycle on a suitable trailer to keep the tongue weight low.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Towing is not an option. Looks like it's time to shop for lightweight bike.

Thanks
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
John S.

Post by John S. »

There is no way you will be able to tow a bike you can ride without pedals. I have a Burgman 650 scooter and it is too heavy for the Bornfree. Think of the distance out from the hitch you will be. You will be at least a foot maybe more where the weight is hanging and bouncing. I can not figure out a way to tow it unless you put is on a trailer and pull it...you will be over the limit any way you try to mount that bike or even a light one.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Tom,

I plan on towing a Harley (cop glide) to Alaska this summer and came to the same realization that it can't be done on the hitch. Found a lightweight trailer that looks like a clamshell. Only weighs 760 pounds. The clamshell opens up, you drive in, hook it down and then close the top down around the bike. It's light and out of the windstream and I hardly know it is there. Don't think it will significantly effect gas mileage. Of course, if you are planning on towing something else, this won't help your situation.

In case you're interested, I will probably sell the trailer after I get back from the Alaska trip this September 15. It is a Toy Carrier and you can see it here: http://toycarrier.com/cruiserbiketrailer.htm
I bought it used and painted black for $4,000 off a Craiglist listing. Missed one on Ebay for $1800.

Bill
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Bill,

As I said previously, towing is not an option. I like to get off the beaten track into some fairly rough areas. I did a trip to Alaska back in '91 on my BMW K75, the same one I was hoping to hang the back.

The previous owner of the coach munched the fiberglass bumper backing into a mailbox. It's repairable, but I might just leave it off. It weighs 40 lbs. I'm going to experiment with loading a cargo carrier up with about 300 lbs. and see how it handles. If that goes well I plan on buying a 250cc bike that weighs just shy of 300 lbs. Although the framework for the bumper is quite beefy, the way it attaches to the truck chassis is a bit scary. There is only about an 8" overlap with 2 bolts on each side and a wimpy weld on the bottom edge. It will definitely need beefing up. I don't see how this would support a 500 lb. tongue weight as stated in the specs.

Enjoy your journey to Alaska.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Tom, if you are into a bit of custom work, I can imagine a Stinger attachement on the back of your BF, with a custom frame holding your Motorcycle sideways. (Hope this makes sense)
http://www.mrtrailer.com/stinger.htm

Also, if these guys can take a small trailer off-road, I think there may still be an option out there for you sir.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/review/te ... 21593.html
Attachments
Crude drawing
Crude drawing
DSC00405[1].jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 25131 times
05_t[1].jpg
05_t[1].jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 25133 times
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Tom, it is such an interesting problem that I couldn't help but look into possible solutions. Here is one that places the front tire on the tow-hitch.
http://www.prohoist.com/motorcycle-trai ... -ramp.html
Attachments
yhst-59659771540132_2091_4379524.jpg
yhst-59659771540132_2091_4379524.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 25125 times
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
lonvanostran

Post by lonvanostran »

bbwolf wrote:Tom, if you are into a bit of custom work, I can imagine a Stinger attachement on the back of your BF, with a custom frame holding your Motorcycle sideways. (Hope this makes sense)
http://www.mrtrailer.com/stinger.htm

Also, if these guys can take a small trailer off-road, I think there may still be an option out there for you sir.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/review/te ... 21593.html
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Alan,

That Stinger is quite interesting, but on their web site they state "Not for RV motor homes or airplanes". On a safety note, their photos show safety chains attached to the hitch and not to the receiver. My father was towing a utility trailer when the hitch pin came out. Unfortunately he had the chains attached to the hitch. The trailer veered into oncoming traffic and the tongue went through the windshield of an oncoming car killing the driver.

I have towed a bike using the front wheel carrier concept in the past. Back in '69 I blew the engine on my Triumph Bonneville returning from Pike's Peek to Denver. Removed the front wheel and set the forks in the trunk. Also in '71 I built a hitch for my Toyota Corolla to haul my 750 Honda from Texas to Minnesota. Removed the front wheel and the axle went through the hitch. It worked very well.

Thanks for your input.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Tom, very sorry to hear about that terrible experience. Thank you for sharing this with us all. Please do keep us informed of what your final solution ends up being. I'm very interested.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

After reading Bill Hemme's post, I probably should think again about this set up.
I have made a half a dozen trips from Pa to FL with my 275 pound dual sport motorcycle on an aluminum rail mounted sideways into the trailer receiver on back of my previous motorhome, plus numerous shorter trips, all with no issues from the motorcycle on the back. When I bought my Born Free, I used the same rail again with no apparent ill effects.
I will say I can feel my 4 bicycle rack on either motorhome, front or back, even when there are only two bikes hanging from the rack. With the rack on the front of my Born Free, the steering feels a bit vague, with touch of wander, manageable, but noticeable. I can not feel the motorcycle like I do the bicycles. Motorcycle is always mounted into the back hitch, it would block the lights and airflow more than I would want if I put it into the front hitch.
Last edited by ewagman on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Looks promising. I just purchased a new '09 Kawasaki KLX250SF yesterday for $3100. I wasn't thinking of buying quite yet but the price was too good to pass up. The specs say the wet weight is 302 lbs. Did you beef up the frame at all? I sometimes travel on some pretty rough roads and am a bit concerned about how Born Free has attached the bumper frame assembly.

Happy sailing.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Your bike deal sound good. I have done nothing to the motorcycle mount or MH frame, I do plan to shorten the unsupported part of the bike carrier you slide into the receiver, the old motorhome needed more clearance space than the Born Free does. I am also considering adding a stabilizing part on one side of the bike rail to reduce the twisting effect, although in 10 years it has not been a problem. I have taken mine on dirt mountain roads or worse, again with no apparent ill effects.
Last edited by ewagman on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”