Water leaks and sucess I beleive..........

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jhillis625

Water leaks and sucess I beleive..........

Post by jhillis625 »

Bornfree water leaking "in" problems

I notice that after the 3 hurricanes that came through in the 2004 season that water had got in and soaked the carpet most noticeably in, under the couch.
Causing water damage to the wooden base. At this point I'm thinking that the water had blown past the seal around the access door.I had to pull out the couch
store it in the house then pull out the wooden base, the captian chairs so I could remove the carpet.

What I found was not pretty, more than half carpet and pad was wet and the metal that holds the coach to the Ford chassic was rusting so I had a bunch of
clean up to do. After wire brushing sanding and Navel Jelly application and cleaning that up I painted the metal parts with Rust Oleam. We the had new carpet
Installed and replaced all the furnishings.

All this time I was trying to get a fix as to where the water was coming in. The wetest location was around the front and bottom of the right side access door.
I checked around the window, I checked where the awining was attached where I found an opening whre the caulking had pulled loose. I cleaned that place and
recaulked it thinking that that could be the spot but really not sure I had found the spot.

I Febuary of 2005 we went to the FMCA rally in Brooksville, Fl. and noticed that the water was still getting in, again I rechecked trying to find where the water
was coming in. No sucess so now keep a closer eye on the problem. Well I didn't get to do much in finding the problem in 2005 since I was out of service for a
few months, but as I go back to where I could investigate the problem.

I removed the access door and frame around the opening and this is what I discovered there was no caulking between the frame and the opening there was
only a thin layer of caulk applied to the outer edge of the frame edge after the frame was installed so this left gaps that water could seep in.

My fix was to throughly clean the old caulk off the buy some strip caulk and a tube of GE's Silicone I. I put the stripping around the door frame and placed in
loosely in place and then filled the gap with the Silicone I before pulling the frame into place aand smoothing out the Silicone before it sets up.

I then bought some "Damp rid" and a mini "dehumidifier" to clesn up all the dampness. we haven't had any hurricanes but have had some rain and it is now
as dry as a "Powder Keg".

I will try and do

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”