Running the A/C off the engine

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

Running the A/C off the engine

Post by TomP »

is it possible to run the A/C, microwave by using the power of the engine? How is this done?
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
Don Cannistraro

Power source

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Tom;
If I understand your question correctly -- you can run your chassis A/C if you have your (Ford) engine running. However, you CANNOT supply power to the microwave as it requires 110 volts. In order to run both the A/C and the microwave you'll need to have the generator operating - supplying 110v to the roof A/C and the microwave. Of course, this assumes you're not plugged to outside electrical power.
Don C
SE Michigan
jasper2222

what about refrigeraton on inverter

Post by jasper2222 »

I was just thinking why we cann't use an inverter and run the refrigerator when traveling. Seems like if you are driving a lot of miles/hours, it would save on propane. Anyone done this before??
jasper2222

2 way

Post by jasper2222 »

Unfortunantly mine is only a 2-way frig. gas and 110. 3 way would have been nice, but----

Richard
John S.

Post by John S. »

You can hook up an inverter charger. I did in my coach but I do not put the fridge on it. We do not have a big enough battery and alternator system on our coaches. Ambulances have two alternators and if you put two on you might be able to do it but the battery issue will still remain. I would just pay for the propane.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
puebloans

running fridge on inverter

Post by puebloans »

I have an after-market 2500 watt inverter and I run the refrigerator off it frequently while traveling. I haven't checked the current draw by the fridge so I don't know what minimum size inverter is required.

Dan
2000 26ft BF
whemme

Post by whemme »

TomP,

You could probably install a high enough capacity inverter to run your refrigerator from it but running your house A/C from an inverter would not be practical. I think that the A/C probably takes around 2500 watts of 120 vac power to run it (not even counting the surge power it takes when the compressor engages). That means that the 12 vdc input current to the inverter from your alternator would have to be around 230 amps assuming an inverter efficiency of 90%. I think the alternators in the Ford E350 and E450 chassis are rated at only 130 amps max so you would have to install a 2nd alternator along with very large cables between it and probably an inverter rated at around 4000 to 5000 watts to even think of being able to run your A/C from such a system.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

It would be hard to rationalize spending a $1000.00 or more just to save a few bucks on propane! We had the 3-way refer in our previous Chinook MH and it did not work all that well (on 12v) it was able to somewhat maintain the cold but not nearly as well at either 110v or propane.
Steve
oliverpsmile

Re: Running the A/C off the engine

Post by oliverpsmile »

TomP wrote:is it possible to run the A/C, microwave by using the power of the engine? How is this done?
A dedicated DC generator (24 v preferable for smaller wiring) driven by the engine (could be direct or from the rear axle (as the old rail road cars)) AND dc/ac inverter. The additional energy will be covered by the higher consumption of gas. Initial investment would be high especially for the labor and the coach driving will be negatively affected.

With approximately the same gasoline consumption, with out the expenses for labor and materials you can successfully run on board generator for your A/C and microwave units (refrigerator and entertainment included).
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”