Where is everyone?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Guy Carter

Where is everyone?

Post by Guy Carter »

This June we went to Grand Canyon and Monument Valley round trip from Memphis, TN and saw only 3 Born Free coaches on the road. Currently, we are on a return trip from Glacier National Park and we've only seen one Born Free on September 01, on Hwy 385, just north of Sidney, Nebraska. We were northbound and they were southbound. Sooo - out of ~10,000 miles we've only seen 4 of our kindred. I know there's more out there somewhere? Maybe East Coast?
whemme

Post by whemme »

What you have experienced is normal. Born Free motorcoaches are not built in large quantites like Winnebagos so seeing another Born Free on the road while traveling is a more rare experience.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
rixname

Post by rixname »

Wife and I are heading out this week for the Grand Canyon, then Albuquerque for the Balloon Festival. We'll be joined by another couple in their BF.
Keep an eye out for us.
8)
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

Traveling from FL to San Diego and return we saw only one Born Free also. Would like to hear summary of Glacier experience, have never been there. If I had a Bucket List, it would be on it. Don't know if you can summarize the Glacier visit here or maybe it has to be private message. Thanks. John
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

jeleuen wrote:Traveling from FL to San Diego and return we saw only one Born Free also. Would like to hear summary of Glacier experience, have never been there. If I had a Bucket List, it would be on it. Don't know if you can summarize the Glacier visit here or maybe it has to be private message. Thanks. John
Just had to comment that Glacier National Park, specifically upper Two Medicine Lake, is one of our all-time favorite places. Just in park from East Glacier.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
bfmc4fun

Oregon

Post by bfmc4fun »

We are currently traveling in Oregon and left our home near Grand Lake, Colorado, on September 9th. About 6 miles from our home, we passed a Born Free going north on US 34. About two hours later, we passed another Born Free headed east on US 40 in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Just today, we saw another Born Free heading south on I-5 just south of Roseburg, Oregon.

On our 2009 fall road trip, through 19 states and 6000 miles, we only saw two other of our kindred. We are ahead of last year with only 1500 miles so they are out there so keep looking.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Just returned from 6 weeks touring North East Canada, PEI, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York, didn't see a one until we got to Acadia National Park, one was in camp with us, one was parked the next day in Bar Harbor and the third pulled in behind us at camp the second day, we talked for a while, they had purchased a used Bed and Breakfast and the wife like the extra room in our BFT C/O. All three wore New Jersey plates!
hindeb

Post by hindeb »

Bud & Sharon, We were in the Born Free you saw in Steamboat heading east on US 40 on the 9th. I'm not sure which coach was yours because we saw three of them headed west on 40 that morning. All were about 3 miles apart, so its doubtful you were aware of each other. We need ID numbers on the coaches like Airsteams, so we can keep score!
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
hrgermany

where is everybody?

Post by hrgermany »

I like the idea having an ID number,but how do start this?

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

I dibs number "17".
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

I think the ID number visible on the coaches is a good idea to build associations and communication in the Born Free community and wonder if the Leap'n Lions Club would facilitate this? If the ID number also appeared on the club website as well and could be combined with cell numbers availability on the road voice communication and EMail exchanges would be possible for those who wanted this.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

There are times when I care to remain anonymous, whether I am doing stuff that is nefarious or not.
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

A nice thing about this coach numbering idea is that it is a choice and those who value the potential benefits to recognize each other can do so and those who need anonymity can have it.
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I saw 17 Born Free's TODAY!!

Some were coming and some were going. Some were parked. Some were occupied, some appeared like no one was home.

Yes, they were at the Leapin' Lions rally in North Conway, NH :wink:

SOme of them were coming back from some great sightseeing or shopping. Some were going out to sample the local cuisine, look for moose, and visit the notches. Some were parked, with people resting or planning their next outing, some were not home because they were outside enjoying the companionship of fellow Born Free owners, meeting new friends and catching up with old acquaintances.

Want to see more Born free's, come to a rally. You'll see plenty :D

John
John S.

Post by John S. »

I saw one Born Free at Captial KOA in MD and then I saw one on the way out to eastern Long Island as I was trying to get off the island. Wow, try hitting the GW bridge at rush hour on a friday. It is amazing how they make 5 lanes go to 10 toll booths then back to 5 lanes again and cause every vehicle to hit the guy next to them. Oh yes, the hurry and get in front of the motorhome was rampant.

One of the biggest differences in driving the BF vs the FOretravel is that when I put the directional on three blinks and start moving the Born Free does not cause them to let me in. The FT on the other hand has them scattering to get out of the way. Oh well, I can fit many more places and I don't need to tow.

I will say if I was required to only have one motorhome, it would be without a question my Born Free.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”