Generac Generator Valve Adjustment

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Eric in Morro Bay

Generac Generator Valve Adjustment

Post by Eric in Morro Bay »

Have any of you with the gasoline powered Generac Generator (3.6 kw) attempted to adjust the engine valves? The Generac Manual recommends that the valve clearance be checked, and adjusted if necessary, at 50 hours of operation.

The Generac Manual says that the procedure must begin with a cold engine and with the engine rotated to Top Dead Center (TDC). However, no mention is made of how to rotate the engine. The engine compartment is too tight to be able to get a wrench on the drive shaft. Rotating the engine by a short pulse of the starter moves it too far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Eric Lillo
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I see you haven't gotten any replies. Generac is out of Wisconsin, and they used to have full technical manuals on their website. If they no longer do, I'll bet they'll be very helpful if you call them.
Eric in Morro Bay

Post by Eric in Morro Bay »

Trisha,

Thanks for the advice.

From the lack of response from the other club members I assume that most don't worry about adjusting the valves on their generators. Maybe I'm too concerned about something that just isn't that important, regardless of Generac's recommendations.

-Eric Lillo

tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Here's a link for the maintenance manual:

http://www.gen-parts.com/Manuals/0E1881.pdf

There's no mention of how to rotate the engine, but here's an excerpt from the manual:

An alternative method is to turn the engine over and
position the intake valve fully open (intake valve spring
compressed) and adjust the exhaust valve clearance.
Turn the engine over and position the exhaust valve
fully open (exhaust valve spring compressed) and
adjust the intake valve clearance.

You should be able to tap the start button and get close.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Eric, I think the key words in your post are "adjusted if necessary". We have 906 hours on our Onan and it is still running trouble free without any valve adjustments. However, I would be interested knowing how many owners have had the valves adjusted.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”